1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ensete ventricosum

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by chan2, Aug 8, 2011.

1. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just had to share with someone my burning desire to get hold of this for next years bedding displays - even better if its 'Maurelii'

blimey they're expensive though - if anyone has any seeds then I'd love to hear from them :)

Emily

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,482
    I grew a few from seed this year, obviously only the type species, ie. just green leaves with red mid rib.

PM me if interested in a small plant.

But you would need to overwinter frost free, as I'm sure you know.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,988
    What sort of price are they now Emily?

I bought some 'maurelli' plants earlier this year in May, they weren't very expensive then, I think less than £10. Since then they have grown very fast. I guess if you buy now you are paying for a couple of months worth of nurturing.

This is a couple of them this weekend:
    [​IMG]

4. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    ah, now you're making me jealous john. what a lovely tropical display!

i have seen the maurelii priced from £3.50 for a plug to £35 for a mature plant. I'm just not feeling very flush at the moment... poor me... :cry3:

was just saying to pete that apparently you can propagate them by cutting the base into pieces but it seems a risky proposition for a valuable plant.............

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,988
    Sorry Emily, didn't mean to flash my wealth about :) Yes I agree £35 is way over the top!

I'd be interested in knowing how to divide them up. The other sorts of bananas I've got send out pups which can be split off, but the ensete seems to be growing from one stem only, so I'm not sure how the root could be divided if it doesn't have seperate growing buds. I'm no expert on these (having only bought them as juvenile plants this spring) so it would be good yto know if it can be done.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,482
    They grow very fast so you can just go for the smallest plant you can find Emily.
    I had a Maurelli a few years ago, in two seasons it became too big for me to overwinter, so it died.

I think I,ve seen the propagation technique you are referring to, it involves cutting the plant off at the base and gouging out the base of the stem.
    Not tried it, but I dont think Ensete grows pups without something like that, it doesn't normally propagate itself vegetively, presumably, until after flowering.

7. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
  8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,482
  9. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I just both one today at Homebase , about 4ft for just £8 ....:yess:

• Like Like x 1