1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Epsom salts anyone?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wilroda, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have been recommended to use Epsom salts on my garden and am wondering what your views are on using it.

I have read that the salts are good at revitalising and strengthening plants indoors and out and that its good for roses too........i also have a sick cycad that I an thinking if using it on.....

Too good to be true or should I give it a go?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,911
    Epsom salts contain magnesium which is good for some plants, that require it in greater quantities than others.
    Its usually shows up as yellow leaves, particularly between the veins.

I think its really only viable when used on pot plants, you would need a large amout to use it around the garden.

Last year I bought a pack of Chempak magnesium, which I'm now using on garden plants.

I 'm thinking it may be slower to work but have a longer effect.

Yes the cycad could well do with a dose of epsom salts, but a nitrogen shortage does look very similar.:scratch:

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: I am a huge beleiver in them for my houseplants Wilroda & anything anywhere that wants a quick fix of Magnesium as that is what they are....
    Epsom salt, also known as Magnesium sulfate, is a white, crystalline powder commonly used in bath soaks and for other beauty and medicinal purposes.:dh:

So anything that wants a magnesium fix they are good for, but remember not everything always wants that...... :wink: But.... they are also good for other things, they can be used in the following areas of gardening:

• Helps seeds germinate.
    • Makes plants grow bushier.
    • Produces more flowers.
    • Increases chlorophyll production.
    • Improves phosphorus and nitrogen uptake.
    • Deters pests, including slugs and voles. :thmb:

I use at a ratio of 2 tablespoons to a gallon...! :wink::thmb:

4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,840
    Hi Wilroda ,I have used Epsom salts on Roses for many years,This is only my personal oppinion :)
    It not only makes the foliage greener and more lush, it produces more canes and more roses. I apply to my existing rose bushes, a mix of ½ cup of Epsom salts into the soil around the rose bush and water well or dissolve ½ cup of the salts in water and use to water the rose bush. I do this in the spring, just as the bids are beginning to open.
    For ongoing rose care,I mix 1 T. of Epsom salts per gallon of water and apply as a foliar spray. You may need several gallons of water for larger rose bushes and climbers.:)

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Never heard of it, but I might give it a try this year. Dilute well with water you say?

6. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! this is very interesting!

So its a sort of a tonic for plants that can "kick them up a bit".........sounds great!.............better get some!

How often do you apply/use it?

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,579
    Martha Steward always recommends a few tablespoons to be put in a newly dug hole for a new plant, suppose to help the roots. No delusion, just throw/scatter it in the hole.

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Seems to have worked a treat on my chillies last year after showing a bit of yellowing on the leaves. Cant recall what dilution I used, but it did the trick and Im still eating the dried harvest!

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,130
    I use Epsom Salts on my tomato plants last year, it worked well in curing magnesium deficiency. The leaves turned yellow and brown between the veins, a few sprays of the salts worked wonders. Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sulphate and are much cheaper by that name at the chemists, pound shop or garden centre. Dilution rate is ½ oz in a pint of water (20g/litre) and apply as a foliar spray each day for a week :thumb: