1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Espalier help needed

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Snorky85, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    Finally got the posts up to do the espalier conference pears but I’m not sure if I’m doing it right. Unfortunately left it a little late getting the posts and first wire in and some of the branches are stiffening up.

Is there a way to prune the branches to encourage more growth? Should i snip out the centre trunk to encourage side branches?
    1:
    D41919CC-DA1D-4AD2-AA6D-021E25AA6060.jpeg

2:
    359A6F18-0FDF-4B7A-9362-0BD02339B8F8.jpeg

3:
    CEFBF9C0-AD7E-46D5-A5A9-886CC9848804.jpeg

4:
    13DA93A5-71E3-463A-A50E-8FDE5FA73909.jpeg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Basically Snorky, you keep 3 shoots....one vertical and 2 side branches. The aim is for the vertical to, next year, produce 3 shoots again for next tier.
    You can balance side growths by lowering or raising....as I suggested a few weeks back. If one branch is more vigorous than the other then lower it and vice verse.
    The aim is to tie down horizontally near summer’s end. :) You are looking to create first year’s tier then one a year thereafter

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,963
      Thanks @Verdun My brain is pretty overloaded with other nonsense going on around here that I've completely forgotten your advice previously! Even this morning I forgot my own mobile number :doh:

Ah ok - so things are o.k. for this year I guess. The main stem just doesn't even look like its going to grow any further - they seem pretty well "chopped off" at the top.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Just watch how side branches grow.....you can post picture in mid summer if you want further advice :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1