1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Etsy on line.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Jan 27, 2021.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    Has anyone dealt with this online company?
    They appear to have bad reviews ,it’s just that I seen a bird bath that I like and don’t know if to risk it.

2. DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,860
    Etsy seems much like Ebay where there are lots of sellers within the site so if your happy with the seller your item is up for sale then that would be the thing to go by...so bad seller bad reviews...good seller good reviews...Both Etsy and Ebay are just the shop window..cannot say about Etsy with any issues with sellers though as no knowledge...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      I bought an item from them last year Roders. A lot of the sellers are abroad and you have to be careful to check where they are before hitting the order button, some say they are UK based which is misleading. I didn't realise the item I ordered had to come from Lithuania and was told that it could take six weeks. I could also track the item and it took three weeks to leave there, arriving here a week later. There were no other problems and the item arrived well packaged and in good condition.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,288
        @roders The company is really more of a marketplace like eBay, so it's best to focus on the individual seller and their reviews, return periods being of a decent length and other policies being sound etc. I have bought a few second-hand high-end clothes from there and have never had a problem. :dunno: My review standards/expectations are similar to eBay for this place, anything under five star averages for their items and I avoid them, just like I avoid any seller with a percentage too far under 100% on eBay.

Nick

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          I have posted bits about Etzy. My granddaughter uses this site along with others. It seems to be a 'window ' for folks to show off their wares. Chloee has really done well. She has such alrge following, and the orders for her products keep coming in. However then comes the sting. Suddenly she is denied many followers. Then to top that. She gets charged £600 as a percentage of her earnings.

She is a uni student, trying to improve her skills and make a few bob at the same time. She now has custommers in other countries. It takes her so long to produce an item, so basically she is working many long hours for peanuts.

• Like Like x 3
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,147
            Etsy is as Nick says a marketplace, unlike ebay. People are selling things they make themselves, often they make them to order hence wait/delivery times can be long. They should spell that out in their own listings. You can get some unique stuff but also some people passing off cheap chinese goods as 'craft' items, buyer beware!

• Like Like x 1
            • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
              +7,676
              Etsy is a platform for all things unique, vintage and handmade. It's a great place to search for something a bit different you may have in mind. Many sellers have a small business and amend their reach by selling there.

It's also the best place to find craftsmen, I have bought a handmade spice rack (British oak and slate) made to the exact size I wanted. It took over a week to arrive which is quite acceptable as the friendly lad had to make it first :)

It's easy to limit the search results to UK only if you wish. In general my experiences have been very good also with foreign sellers, getting in touch to ask questions is hassle free. Obviously timings can be long when dealing with small businesses or individuals perhaps abroad, this is no instant shopping a'la Amazon.

• Like Like x 3