EU inadvertently destroys wildflower meadows

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Phil A, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,454
      I thought that people cared about the countryside, only when money is in the pocket

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Pillocks:rolleyespink:

• Agree Agree x 5
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Reminds me of an historic ceiling that would have cost thousands to conserve on a castle I was working on in Bristol.

It mysteriously collapsed overnight :th scifD36:

• Informative Informative x 3
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,123
            Strange a similar thing happened to a beautiful stately family home.. Only it was fire here... Now beautifully restored and an Hotel.. Still has the arboretum and the beautiful gardens though...

What we are doing to out countryside these days is horrific..!! :mad:
            We have an organic farm nearby who have a brilliant way of doing things.. They sow a swathe around their crop fields of wildflowers and moon daisies.. Lovely to look at when you pass by, plus the wildlife attracted by it is marvellous to see..

• Like Like x 4
            • Jiffy

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,454
              Yes
              :th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::th scifD36::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
                Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
              • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                +19,594
                When I lived in Sheffield, there was a patch of wasteland right close to the city centre. It was full of wildflowers and grasses.

A property developer bought it, and then applied for planning permission to build flats on it. He was told no, the reason publicly given was that it was full of wildflowers and provided a habitat for wildlife in a challenging urban environment. Fair enough. I don't always agree with planning officers, but I think they got that one right.

Then one night, quite literally, at night, according to local witnesses (in was in our local community news mag), diggers moved it after dark. By morning the diggers were gone, and so were the wildflowers. Now the site was just mud.

An appeal against the earlier planning refusal was made, it was shown that the land offered no community or environmental interest, and planning permission was granted.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +84,313
                  I've come across the reverse of what most of you are saying.
                  The council park where I sometimes go, not as often as I used to, was always a bit rough but it had some close mowed areas for the public to sit and have picnics etc.

Since spending a lottery grant on the place and putting in concrete paths, along with lots of events, loud music, hoards of bikes and jogging groups with personal trainers shouting out commands, the majority of the place is supposed to be a wild life haven.

This is just a way of saying they are not going to cut the grass anymore, in certain areas, which are now no go areas as they have been overtaken by brambles thistles and nettles.

I wouldn't mind if they were to cut paths through the so called "wild flower meadows", but they dont, its just a way of neglecting large areas and pretending its for wildlife.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +13,957
                    The same thing happened with hedgerows about ten years ago. A new, stricter law on preserving them was in the offing, so what did the farmers do? Yep....rooted out miles and miles of hedgerows dividing the fields. So why is the EU getting the blame?:scratch: Apart from the stupidity of leaking the imminent legislation before it's passed, can't see that it's anyone's fault but the farmers:sofa:

• Jiffy

Pyro
                    Ratings:
                    +31,454
                    Farmers got paid to take out the hedges and drain the fields by the tax payer, Farmers had been paid to plant wild flower meadows and to plant trees then when the trees are felled you have the income tax free,

• Informative Informative x 1
                      Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
                    • noisette47

Ratings:
                      +13,957
                      As I remember it, Jiffy, it was exactly the same scenario as the one in the OP. The farmers got wind of stricter legislation and acted very quickly to forestall it. No doubt it's one way of ensuring that they can't be dictated to by the EU, but rather self-defeating really.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,594
                      Seems to me that the farmers always get the blame. Townies often hold farmers to be 'rich landowners', but the few I know all tell me the same. Their margins are so low that without subsidies they would simply go under. So they do whatever they get paid to do. In the past that has meant ripping out hedgerows so they can fit in more of a particular crop, or planting new trees because there was an idea that day, or then tearing out those trees because another day someone decided to open up the land again. I seem to recall last year the farmers got the blame for all the flooding, because they'd done as they'd been told to do previously by clearing the land.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +84,313
                        I must admit farmers a damned if they do and damned if they dont.

They cant win, but then who can, the politicians change their tune so often, as for the Brussels bunch, they have got to come up with something all the time, just to justify its existence.

Surely any farmer who has maintained a real wild flower meadow on his property is not likely to plough it up just because of this.
                        Real flower meadows are not just a field with a few poppies.

• noisette47

Ratings:
                        +13,957
                        Don't get me wrong, Clue....my best friends are farmers! Unfortunately, staying afloat and/or making a living are often incompatible with concerns for the environment. That is exacerbated by rulings and policies from bureaucrats at all levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                          +28,996
                          Yesterday I took Mrs Scrungee to see the masses of wild flowers and butterflies at the chalk pits we'd visit for family picnics when I was a child. They were off the footpath and we'd need to squeeze through hawthorn bushes beside the path and that made it unusual to see anybody else there.

The County Council have made it a 'Nature Reserve', they have cut down all the surrounding scrub to open it up, made pathways through it, 'interpretation' signage is everywhere informing one that it is now the subject of a 'management plan'.

And it's been wrecked. It's been turned BMX track by the local kids, it's covered in nettles, thistles and other weeds (apart from the bike eroded areas), and there wasn't a single wild flower anywhere. I wish I'd never gone back.