1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Eupatorium cannabinum plugs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Nikolaos, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,288
    Hi All,

Just received 2 plug plants this morning. Wondered if it would be fine to plant one straight into the ground, I am planning to pot the other in John Innes 3 with a little coarse grit. Also, should I untangle the roots a little? They look a tiny bit potbound!

Thanks,

Nick

DSCN0882.JPG

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I would pot them both into 9cm pots Nick ...they will grow away much faster :)
    Yes, loosen the roots a little but soak them first for 10 minutes or so

If you want to experiment for yourself then plant one out and pot one up.... compare :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,288
      Thanks Verdun! I'm not used to this potting on malarkey (what exactly is the point of it?) but think I'll give it a go with one of these, was going to put it straight into something a bit larger. :) I just hate having gaps in the garden! :heehee:

Nick

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      If plants are too small for their surroundings ....outside or into over large pots....they are almost smothered by their environment .....space, water, nutrients...and sulk or suffer.
      Your plugs will enjoy a one size up potting. You may well be surprised how quickly they will fill those pots and you may even pot up another size next month. :)

Those gaps in the garden.....just think about it. Tiny stalks stuck in the big outside ?? They won’t look good anyway. Prob eaten by a fat slug or battered by wind and rain....those plugs will be soft and unused to the outside conditions anyway. Better to grow them on and plant out sizeable plants next spring when they will make an immediate impact.

Why not fill those gaps with a few wallflowers? You will have something to see and enjoy over winter and spring. Then replace them with your new plants!

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,288
        Thanks, I think I get it now, it's like they actually suffer from a complete lack of adversity and restriction. Cruel to be kind sort of thing! Makes sense when I compare it to different plants competing with one another in the wild, really... :)

Nick

• Like Like x 1