1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Euphorbia - Advice On Growing This Please?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Hi Everyone,

I don't usually make threads like these as I usually just stick a plant in the ground according to the books and suck it and see.

My Nan died in the early hours of Tuesday morning and I won't be able to attend the funeral as it's so far away. However I want to do my own thing at home and one of them is to buy a euphorbia, which was one of her favourite plants and plant it while the funeral takes place.

I've had euphorbias in the past but they all mysteriously died a year or two ago but I don't know why. I have a particlar place in mind to plant it by our new pergola we are building and it shall be in full sun for most of the day, but I seem to remember reading that they like shade. The soil here is quite dry too. Is this a bad place to plant it? Where does everyone else grow theres?

Thank you :coffee:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,077
    Sorry to hear about you Nan JJ. It's a nice idea to get a plant she loved, I've never had any trouble growing them in my dry sunny garden. The native species (Spurge) grows like mad everywhere around here, shade, sun, dry or moist so assumed they weren't fussy where you planted them. I think there may be some slighty tender varieties which may be why you lost yours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Oldtyke

Oldtyke Gardener

Ratings:
      +194
      I adore euphorbias, and grew a lot from seed at one time. I bought a variegated one with white flowers (bracts) from homebase this spring. At our last house one seeded itself in the bottom of the hedge, which couldn't have been drier. I think really wet conditions would be a downer for them. Some, like Mellifera are tender. If you go with one of the native ones, it should be ok. You can always collect the seed to make sure you have plants.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1