1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen 4 in 1 feed and weed or evergreen fast green

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Newbie garden guy, May 5, 2021.

1. Newbie garden guy

Newbie garden guy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,
    I have in the garage ever green fast green spreader and ever green 4 in 1 weed and feed spreader.

The weather is rubbish at the moment and as you can see on the pictures it just hailstoned in may. The netting was for some seed i put down couple of weeks ago.

I have heard some horror stories of destroyed lawns form 4 in 1 feed and weed and also fresh green. I was wondering which one should i use my lawn was laid 12 months ago and has lost the lush green it had. Some parts of the grass have turned a yellow faded colour.
    Please see the pictures on overall condition of the lawn.
    I was thinking of doing a portion of the lawn with one of the above products just to test it out.

Attached Files:

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Sorry, I don’t do formal lawns, just wildflower meadows. Apart from anything else, the “grass” is often full of frogs, toads, etc, so I don’t want to disturb them.

I’m sure some lawn enthusiasts will be along soon!

3. Newbie garden guy

Ratings:
    +4
    I have included some more pics of the lawn there are dark green patches scattered on it. I do have a few weeds appering but was not sure which feed to go for.

Attached Files:

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I'm unsure about the darker green patches, it looks like fertilizer applied unevenly? Yes just apply your feed in one small area first to see if it picks up.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      I'm wondering what is under the lawn, it looks a bit suspicious to me.;)

Also the goal posts suggest a certain amount of trampling going, but not so much around the washing line perhaps.

• Newbie garden guy

Ratings:
      +4
      Lol, it could be uneven fertiliser applied when it was first prepped.

Yeh my eldest son has been playing football plus i have a dog which legs around the garden.

Will apply the evergreen fast green in small area first to see if it makes a difference. I think the lawn does need its first feed after being laid last year.
      I assume the yellowing of the grass is due to lack of nitrogen.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      Yellow grass most likely means ir needs nitrogen.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,090
        The snow,rain and sleet kindly watered in my lawn feed for me today .....

• Newbie garden guy

Ratings:
        +4
        I can only do a mow next week if there is a break in rain i know temperatures are going up. Knowing my luck i will apply the evergreen in the test area and then it wont rain for a week.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,508
        Your dog been cocking its leg up against the goal post and probably the wash pole as well hence why its so green , excess water run off from the paths around the edge of the lawn is probably why its in slightly better condition.

Seen as you've put seed down that rules out using 4-1 weed and feed it will damage young grass .

If you still want to green it up a liquid lawn feed like miracle grow or other will be friendlier on the young grass and less chance of damaging the lawn . The 4-1 can be used on a latter date it doesn't go off as long as it doesn't get wet.

It not been a good spring for lawns ( or the garden in general ) to dry and cold / fluctuating temperatures .

• Like Like x 1
        • Newbie garden guy

Ratings:
          +4
          Tx for the advice, i will go down the root of using lawn feed liquid feeder on the required areas. Also have purchased a weed extractor tool for when i need it can always fill in the holes with compost mixed in well with grass seed.

• Newbie garden guy

Ratings:
          +4
          Later next week will give the lawn a mow have ordered micracle gro soluble solution. I assume next time to feed would be say late july and then september?

Or would the evergreen green granules spreader be better used for september?

Last edited: May 8, 2021
        • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,508
          Soluble or granules doesn't really matter they both do the job , they is less chance you'd scorch the lawn with a soluble feed which is very common with a granule feed .

Feed by what the instructions recommend but soluble feeds don't tend to last as long usually up to 4 weeks , sometimes 6 week but its likely it would of leached out of the soil by then , if you have sandy soil the feed will not last as long.

• Newbie garden guy

Ratings:
          +4
          I used the miracle gro lawn feed soluble stuff last tuesday. It has gone greener and slightly thicker. But i assume will see a bigger improvement using the feed once a month going forward. I am cutting the grass every two weeks now.

Attached Files: