1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen climber for light wire fence

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Claire McCarthy, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Claire McCarthy

Claire McCarthy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    11057179-725C-401A-9987-8CE0823D62D5.jpeg 3BA64E9F-A119-4305-BA22-88EDD8EE8187.jpeg 6983FA29-AE65-4553-9963-EC64F0FE5AD0.jpeg Hi everyone,

Hoping someone might have some suggestions for me! The back of my garden is bordered by 3 large hawthorn trees, a very low stone wall and a light (but sturdy!) wire mesh that stretches between the trees.

There is an ivy that I didn’t planted rambling happily over the wall, up the trees and on the fence posts but it won’t climb the wire. Looking for any ideas for something else that would be happy to climb the wire and create an evergreen screen or else suggestions for any ways to entice the ivy to do the same!

The site gets some sunshine during the winter but is quite shaded for a lot of the day once leaves start appearing on the hawthorns. I would love something with flowers but realise this might not be possible given the shade.

Will attach some photos.

Thanks in advance!
    Claire.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Claire, well, the Ivy seems to be pretty well established on the fence as it is. As an additional plant you could use Honeysuckle, or you can pull some of the Ivy stems already on the fence, going in a different direct to what you what, and direct them into the empty area.
    I have the opposite problem, I have too much Ivy and am now conducting a "war" to reduce it to a minimum.:dunno::doh: I'm sure other members of the GC Gang will be along to give you some great advice and ideas.

3. Claire McCarthy

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Armandii,
    Thanks for your reply! The ivy is well established all around the fence but refuses to spread onto the actual wire. I might try tying some tendrils on and see if that encourages it to cling on by itself...

I will look into the honeysuckle too. Will it tolerate a shady spot?

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Most Honeysuckle will tolerate mid to light shade and I have used them in lots of different areas of the garden
      On the Arbour with climbing Roses and Clematis.
      upload_2021-2-18_12-52-41.png

In the right top corner in shade on the Wildlife pond hedge.
      upload_2021-2-18_13-4-15.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,682
        Now I wonder if the Ivy would be encouraged by twining some string or similar organic matter on the wire part? Straws or thin saplings perhaps? Ivy likes to attach itself with suction cups rather than twine around the wires. With time the initial support matter would rot away but by that time the Ivy would probably already be firmly in place.

That's just a thought, never tried it as I'm also swamped with mature Ivy. It's a wonderful plant for wildlife but in favourable spot can get a bit out of hands :redface:

My favourite evergreen Honeysuckle is Lonicera Henryi, it's vigorous, reliable and does just fine on a shady spot. It tends to get top heavy so some underplanting might be nice after a few years.

• Like Like x 1
        • Claire McCarthy

Ratings:
          +4
          Thanks for your replies! Apologies, I thought I had email alerts turned on and didn’t realise there were more messages on the thread! I think I will try a honeysuckle to cover the fence. Now to choose one! I had almost decided on Lonicera Japonica but having read that it is considered an invasive species in some areas I’m not sure how advisable planting it is?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            Last edited: Feb 27, 2021