1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen climbers - Help!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bloomin' Luverly, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Bloomin' Luverly

Bloomin' Luverly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I have a wire fence in my back garden which backs on to a lovely park where squirrels and suchlike play in the mornings.

Am not interested in putting a wooden fence up for privacy but would like to buy some evergreen climbers to naturally fence off the divide...has anyone got any suggestions on what I could use for all year round cover? :rolleyes:

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Some of the variegated ivy's are nice the gold heart (green and yellow) is a good one but a bit slower growing than normal ivy

some passion flowers are also ok and some varieties hang on to their leaves through the winter better than others, a bonus are the superb flowers

3. Bloomin' Luverly

Bloomin' Luverly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve - will give it a go.....

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,534
    I used to grow a climer called Ecremecarpus scaber, Its self clinging, by tendrils and these days comes in various colours from red, orange and yellow. Its fast growing and you can buy the seed in catalogues. Can be a bit tender, but if you can grow passion flowers, as Steve suggests, you can grow this. It is evergreen.

5. Tulip

Tulip Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    |have an ugly fence that I have been growing an evergreen jasmin against - it has gloosy dark green leaves, small white flowers with a lovely scent that go on for ages during the summer months and it is fast growing...the only problem is that i cannot remember the variety name! have a look generally at jasmins - i have mixed a deciduous clematis with it too - and if i find out which jasmine is i will let you know!

6. Penlan Perennials

Penlan Perennials Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at Lonicera acuminata, a lovely evergreen honeysuckle which is also fragrant.

7. Ian

Ian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not heard of Lonicera acuminata, but L.japonica Halliana is excellent evergreen highly scented honeysuckle. If the fence faces south or gets plenty of sun (not shady cold north facing at any rate), then Clematis cirrhosa balearica is one of the best ten plants in cultivation (beautiful neat glossy evergreen foliage, turning purple in Feb., flowers in deep winter when almost nothing else does, & continuously in flower 5-6 months from Nov. April).

Ian.

8. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    2 Types of L.Acuminata.
    The one on the right is semi evergreen. Needs sun & free draining soil [​IMG]