1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen climbers - suggestions please...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ellgee, May 25, 2005.

1. ellgee

ellgee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone suggest an evergreen climber to cover a rustic trellis?

We already have three Clematis, two Potatoe Vines and a Honeysuckle (all non-evergreen), and have planted lots of sweet peas to fill the gaps this summer, but would also like something for the winter.

The soil is good (lots of compost dug into it), it gets the sun most of the day, but is quite a windy spot in the garden.

thanks

2. becca

becca Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Solanum crispum album (Potato Vine) growing over my fence. It is evergreen and has white flowers from spring through to the beginning of winter there is also Solanum Crispum Glasnevin which is pretty similar but has purple flowers with yellow stamens. Dont know if this helps if you already have 2 potato vines.

3. ellgee

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, we already have one of each of those, although they do seem to be very slow growers. We put all the plants in about a month ago, and everything else has gone mad apart from the vines. I guess I'll have to be more patient...

4. becca

becca Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was already established in my garden when i moved into the house and it does go completely mental and needs pruning and tying in regularily so i guess that its just a slow starter.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,664
    What about a passion flower?

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LG
    ALL these are evergreen cultivars/varieties(apart from Jasminium nudflorum, but I'll explain why it's included) : Clematis armandii - scented white flowers early spring. Berberidopsis corallina, or Akebia quinata - both with reddish flowers summer. Lonicera halliana - yellow flowers summer. Jasminium beesianum - pink scented flowers summer. Trachelospermum jasminoides - white flowers summer. Could also try wall shrubs - e.g. Pyracantha, or Jasminium nudiflorum - this ones not evergreen, but after the leaves fall, its only a matter of weeks before you get lovely yellow flowers. Ceanothus is a possibility also.

7. ellgee

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. Looks like I'll be off to the garden centre this weekend. cheers [​IMG]