1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen shrub suggestions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Jun 17, 2011.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Hi

I've got nosy (and noisy) neighbours backing onto me and I want to plant some shrubs next to the fence. I want something which is fairly fast growing so they will reach 6 ft fairly quickly, but not something with very invasive roots. If the roots grow downwards it probably wouldn't be a problem, as long as they weren't close to the surface. The reason being that there is a raised area on which the fence sits, and it's a fairly narrow strip, probably about a foot and a half wide. I also don't want the roots to go under the fence and up into their garden. Laurel seemed ideal initially, but I've read elsewhere that the roots can be a problem. There is also a patio area next to the raised strip.

In an ideal world I'd buy some mature Rhododendrons and plant them out, but the cost would be prohibitive. I do have some fast/tall growing Rhodos (Praestans and Rothschildii), but I have them in tubs so I can take them with me when I leave. They are also fairly small as I've only just bought them in 3L pots.

I would welcome suggestions for evergreen shrubs which grow to about 8ft (or taller, provided the roots aren't too invasive). If they could provide some berries for the birds, then even better.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
    Ratings:
    +23
    Red Escallonia ( escallonia macrantha rubra ). Fast growing and it likes a well drained situation so it should be fine on a raised area. Has a nicely scented flower as a bonus.

3. johnrhos

johnrhos Apprentice Gardener

Programme Officer
    Ratings:
    +5
    How about an Acuba Japonica Crotonifolia, attractive variegated leaves and red berries. :thumbsup:

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, if you want an evergreen, dense growing, flowering, shrub and berries for the birds, try Pyracantha.

5. merleworld

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Thank you all for your suggestions, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Re the Acuba Japonica Crotonifolia, would the roots on this be non invasive?

6. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    All shrubs will have roots that are close to the surface, these are the most active roots which nourish the plant and i can certainly say (with experience) that the Escallonia (i have a hedge of it) most definately has tons of 'surface' roots.

Shrubs which are going to be suitable for screening are going to be tall and wide and therefore will have roots that will travel as far as they need to to get water/moisture - and they'll not be stopped !
    (Well, if they're stopped they'll die !)

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would suggest, Viburnum Tinus, Photinia " Red Robin ", Escallonia and Arbutus unedo.:dbgrtmb:

8. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,548
    Hebe's are fast growers too. :)

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Depends on the variety though Sheal. Some of them only grow to 8 or 9 inches.:WINK1:

10. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,548
    I don't know the variety of mine, it was in the garden when I moved in, but it's about 8ft high now.

11. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    My D-I-L had similar problems. She initially had a 3' fence.
    We fitted battens to the posts and installed Reed Screening to add 3' to the top (that was quick growing).
    When the enquiry came from over the fence she explained she was going to grow Clematis etc. and needed something for it to attach to. - Plausible.
    There's been no complaints so far.

12. johnrhos

johnrhos Apprentice Gardener

Programme Officer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Acuba

Yes, i have had no problems on that score :thumbsup:

13. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Post a pic on the identification board and we`ll try and enlighten you.:D:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • merleworld

Ratings:
      +4,087
      Thanks all for suggestions. After doing lots of research I couldn't make my mind up so went to the garden centre to see what they had in. I had an idea of what I was looking for but there was a good selection and I came home with :

Arbutus unedo
      Eleagnus ebbingei
      Escallonia iveyi.

I've dug up a huge Ivy plant this morning which had grown into an 8 ft shrub and was blocking out a Corkscrew Hazel, so I've pruned that in the hope it will bush out a bit more. I am going to do a bit of reading on how to plant out the new plants (ie whether to disturb the root ball, whether to add bone meal, etc) and then keep fingers crossed!