1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen shrubs

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Philip Hughes, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I am looking to plant a couple of evergreen shrubs that will compliment a blue, yellow and purple planting scheme. I have heard that silver-leaved shrubs work well with blues and purples. I only want one or two, to go in the border at the far left (photo attached).
    Any suggestions?

Phil.

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    The soil looks nice, Phil. Whereabouts are you and does the border get plenty of sun?
    Teucrium fruticans is very silvery with blue, rosemary-like flowers. It responds well to being trimmed over to give it a definite shape. Or what about Senecio 'Sunshine', larger silver leaves with yellow daisy flowers? A smaller, rounded one is Convolvulus cneorum, the ultimate silver-leaved shrub with white funnel-shaped flowers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      What about good old Rosemary. It gets decked out in nice blue flowers in late spring.

• Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
      +9
      Thanks for the suggestions - the border is west facing so will get plenty of afternoon sun. I was thinking of Hebe 'Champagne' - white flowers, with purple foliage in autumn. Has anyone ever grown it? I have other Hebes and they are very compact. I don't want a shrub taking over the border!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Ceanothus is evergreen (leaves are small, but unremarkable) and has Blue flowers. Pick a variety that is properly hardy if your site is exposed.

Lavender edging at the front perhaps (one like Munstead is reasonably small)