1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Everlasting Sweet Peas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Shirley, May 1, 2006.

1. Shirley

Shirley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some in a tub and have had them for about 3 years, growing them from seeds. Do I need to trim the leaves and tendrils as for other sweet peas. I have never had any flowers what do I need to do to get flowers?

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    First and foremost don't let it escape your tub!

Everlasting Pea (Lathyrus latifolius)

Thug just doesn't describe this adequately. I've thrown just about everthing at it to try and kill it off as it has invaded walls, paths and foundations. The roots go very deep, over 2ft, and one small piece left behind will soon take off again. It will flower given a chance (not very significant flower) and self seeds all over the place. I don't grow it - I fight it, and so far it's a draw!

The Beeb and RHS may like it but to me it ranks right alongside ground elder, bindweed and couch grass and thinking about it bindweed (convolvulus) has a prettier flower!

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    AGREED - I have finally got rid of mine, but it took a lot of doing!

[ 01. May 2006, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Waco ]

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    And they will charge you 9 quid plus for the white flowered version!