1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Everygreen Bonsai Root Pruning And Repotting

Discussion in 'Trees' started by intel, Feb 21, 2016.

1. intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
    +497
    I managed to get hold of a cheap indoor Bonsia Tree from Morrisons that had been reduced from £5 to £2.50 because the ceramic pot was missing, the tree it self seems to be ok as there are plenty of fresh green leaves (hopefully a good sign) although the whole root ball
    was very dry

My question is that at present it's in a 3 inch round pot but I want to put into a more traditional Bonsai pot (like the Rectangular type of pot) but this would mean extensive root
    pruning to make it fit into the pot, the tree is evergreen with lots of new growth so when is the best time to do this please?

20160220_093413.jpg

20160220_093521.jpg

20160220_093550.jpg

Bonsia.JPG

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    It might be better to soak the root ball then gently tease the roots into a suitable shape. ? A slightly bigger rectangular pot may be needed also .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,653
      Looks like a fig.
      I'm guessing the ceramic pot that is missing is just a pot cover, best without that anyway.:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
        +497
        Thanks, I just wanted to use the rectangular pot to give it a more bonsai feel, I guess if its a evergreen plant then the tree is never dormant but I would say it's a job best for the growing season? is this type of plant ok in a conservatory or will it get too hot in there? I check the temperature daily and whilst it's heated in the winter months the minimum temperature can drop as low as 8.c and summer time temps can get as high as 35.c is this ok for this type
        small tree?

Yes that's all that was missing....I did manage to find a outer pot which hids the plastic pot a little.

20160220_190746.jpg

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,653
        The use of a ceramic outer pot is ok just as long as you empty any water out of it after watering.

Even though its evergreen at 8C it will probably go dormant and require less water, only water freely when it's actively growing or the weather is warm.
        It will do OK at high temps as long as its acclimatised gradually and not in full sun.

If you want to repot, I'd wait a couple of months, personally.

I know these plants are sold as bonsai, but I dont really consider them true bonsai, but then what do I know.:smile:

To me true bonsai are hardy trees grow to a small size, often quite old.
        These are tropical plants that are usually quite fast growing with exposed roots that form very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,089
          I used to buy "bonsai" in the dutch flower markets and by the time they were transported back here and sold off about a third of them had perished. As said theres bonsai ? and proper bonsai.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agent Orange

Agent Orange Professional Amateur

Instrument Technician (retired)
            Ratings:
            +124
            I would say it could be re-potted now as growth will increase with the longer, warmer days. Make sure it is well fed for a couple of weeks before doing so. Definitely tease the roots apart to fit into your new pot, and don't be afraid to trim the roots if they are too long.

I re-potted a Green Beech an Acer and 5 European Larch 10 days ago and all are budding up nicely now.

• Like Like x 1