1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

EXCEPTIONAL GROWTH AND FLOWERING

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    It needs a context too Nikalaos, viz., a wildlife friendly local environment.:)
    The Towans leading to the beach here helps I think...completely natural habitat..groups of lepidopterists meet there on a regular basis. Apparently one of the best places to see butterflies and I’m right on the doorstep:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,289
      Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, my friend. @Verdun

Nick

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        I think the answer is easy Armandii. :) If you turn your back on the garden, especially when like yourself it's for a very good reason - the triffids take over! :heehee:

Both this year and last year I've had an abundance of various types of bees in the garden, despite the lack of plants still. Also a lot of wasps in early May.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I'd accept even Wasps, Sheal, at this moment:dunno::heehee: However, I did find a Peacock Butterfly trapped on the top passage between a curtain and window this morning and it flew into the garden when I opened the window, which is something to celebrate. I've just seen on the BBC that they're expecting a large amount of Painted Lady Butterflies flying into the UK with a second wave gathering in France to make a record number of them to fly on into the UK not far behind them.:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 3
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            If the wasps were still here I'd happily send you some. :) Butterflies are a rarity and I've only seen one this year.
            Yes, I was reading about that yesterday. I don't suppose I'll see them this far north.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              They can, apparently, make as far north as the arctic.

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,097
                Very interesting thread. Just my opinion.The formal type garden is perhaps best suited and appreciated by viewers when masses of space is available. For say the average town or rural garden, then a well fully planted one become so pleasing not only to the onlooker but also the individual who has put in the graft.

It has always been my to listen to those we may call experts, using their information as a guide, but at the same time accepting, what works for you might not do the same for me. In this respect although it can at times be soul destroying, having spent out on a plant only to find it pops it's clogs in your/my garden. I love carnations, I've actually wheighed and specially mixed the compost. I have given up. I just can't grow them.

Butterflies and bees. I have been amazed upto now this season with the vast increase in the numbers of butterflies visiting my garden, some I haven't seen before. Sadly the bees have been few and far between. Wasps thankfully are also sparse. My flat is one floor up, nothing above me. My view from my kitchen window to me is most enjoyable. Looking down on my garden, I tend to say...'what a mess' due to my health and lack of care. However on the other hand I think, this really looks great, its as if nature has stepped in andin a way appreciated my efforts and is now lending a hand. Forming a backdrop, my extemely tall conifer at the garden's far end enables me to stand and watch all the flying insects. Honestly it's like looking through pea soup, and the supersonic speed thes little critters fly at, wow.

Believe it or not. Your garden. Large or small. Can at critical times in your life, become your greatest therapeutic friend and comforter. Enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,497
                  We have had some increase in flowering plants this year and they also happen to be especially attractive to bees, hoverflies and wasps. So we are inundated with flying insects but I haven't seen a corresponding increase in butterflies - yet.

I'm not sure whether there has been any change in the last week as I'm just on my way home after a week away. I hope to see more butterflies then. :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 2
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +86,035
                    I always think plants react to what has gone before, last summer was good, ripened wood on woody plants, often some dont get a good ripening in the UK due to iffy weather.

Cant say what its been like, weather wise in other parts, but its been dry down here, with occasional warm spells followed by cool easterlies, so not as good as it can be.

The other factor I find with some plants is we fiddle with them too much, prune out the untidy bits etc. left to their own devices they often flower better without interference.

• Like Like x 3
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,035
                      Insects, never see that many down here, seen one ladybird and probably half a dozen butterflies up till now, even wasps which I dont dislike are less than last year.
                      Hoverflies are making a comeback here I think.

Blackfly is rampant, RSM as usual, scale, and for the first time ever an apple tree covered in wooly aphids, mealy bugs.

• Informative Informative x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,988
                        Couple of cabbage whites,shed loads of Bees and hoverflies ,lots of ladybird Larvae,wasps are few and far between but it's early days yet in these parts...no black fly at present ..that'll put the mockers on it :doh:...

• Like Like x 2
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,610
                          I'm not living quite that far north @Freddy but I'll keep my eyes peeled for the flutterbies. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
                          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                            Ratings:
                            +6,097
                            Heard on the BBC news the other day that lots of butterflies are expected soon from the continent.

Perhaps they are quitting the EU also

• Like Like x 1
                            • Funny Funny x 1
                            • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                              Ratings:
                              +6,899
                              My garden is 90% overgrown, with a couple of areas left to develop on their own ( just cut back in autumn ) and the rest where I have planted a few wildflowers and cultivated flowers amongst the wildflowers that have arrived by themselves. The ' human ' bit of the garden has even more pollinator friendly plants. Last year the garden did very well and I was delighted to find blue butterflies and grass hoppers, which I had not previously seen.

However, we had a very hot summer and I think this has affected some of my plants, causing them to have erratic blooming. Spring primroses were in full bloom on xmas day and some of them are blooming again now! The past three years have been quite dry, below the usual average rainfall for Anglesey, so I imagine this has had an impact too.

This year we had a mild spring and I saw lots of bees in March / April and even a red admiral butterfly. We then had a cold snap in May with strong easterly winds. It's common for us to have this cold snap in May and this year was not as cold as some I remember. In June things seemed to go back to normal and I started seeing bees and butterflies again.

I've noticed a decline in the number of bees, butterflies and other insects recently. The buddleja by the caravan is normally a magnet for bees and butterflies but I've not seen one bee or butterfly on it. Haven't seen any blue butterflies or grasshoppers. The ragwort is doing well and most of the plants have cinnebar catapillars on them. I've had a lot on this year with my art and a few other things, so I've not had much time for gardening. Unfortunately, my garden has suffered and some plants are not doing well, scabious and achillea in particular. My main concern is my little wildlife pond. Another plant is dying, leaves developed brown spots and now the leaves are rotting away. I've no idea what is going on - I did mention this in another thread. At the moment the insects, diving beetles and snails seem to be thriving, so I don't think it's a water quality issue. Not sure what to do :dunno:.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                                Ratings:
                                +31,946
                                There is also a lack of bird song in the early hours of the morning

• Like Like x 1
                                • Agree Agree x 1