1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Exochorda 'The Bride'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by northpool, Feb 14, 2011.

1. northpool

northpool Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone grown this from seed? If so is it difficult to and do you have any tips?

Many thanks in advance

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Northpool, I've never tried to grow Exochorda "The Bride" from seed. I do have the plant and it's a lovely shrub. To be quite honest I've never met again who has propagated it by seed so it'll be interesting to see how you get on. Keep us up to date on your progress.

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    From looking on Google (never actually as much as seen the plant before) it appears to be a hybrid cultivar so I have my doubts about the seeds coming true to form

4. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Aesculus, Exachorda is a nice shrub. It's a spring flowering, low spreading plant that came into favour over ten years ago. It was suddenly in the Nurseries being high-lighted on the front row and then disappeared as a marketing failure. You can still find it in Nurseries but usually tucked away in a corner. I got mine from Hodnet Hall when visiting the gardens about 15 years ago and haven't regretted it.

5. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337

The Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh has one apparently so I will go take a look

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,372
    We have a couple of three year old exochordas. They are superb plants and well worth having.

Haven't tried growing from seed.

ARMANDII, I don't know about low spreading. I saw one in a garden near here and it is 5ft tall and a diameter of about 6ft but I don't know how old it is.

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Shiney, the oldest Exachorda I've seen was at Hodnet Hall in Shropshire, I think it was getting on 50 years old,. and it was on the side of a stepped path going up a bank to the Hall rising some 80'. Because it was on the bank it had followed the flow of the bank downwards and was probably about 4' high but about 15' in spread. The one I've got is, being generous, two and a half feet high in partial shade, but it's spread is around 6' to 7' foot. It wouldn't surprise me to hear you've seen one around 5' in height, I think what I was try to say, although I didn't do a good job of it!, was that the spread being so wide seems to counter what height there is. I love it, it seems to shout "Spring is here!!" with those lovely white blooms and it has jogs some very good memories of gardening with my wife.

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,372
    Hi ARMANDII,

We planted ours in 2008 and these photos were taken last May 4th (Star Wars Day :heehee: - groan, groan). They are growing as standards but one has already branched out and started drooping over. They are a good 4ft high.

The flowers are so white that they appear to glow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    They look absolutely great, Shiney. If you were growing them as Standards I can see why they've gained height. I think I bought mine from Hodnet Hall in the early 90's and as I said it's low in height but has a good spread, and I HAVE never pruned it whatsoever. As I said for me it's the advent of Spring and my only regret is that the blooms are gone too soon - but then, I can think of a lot of shrubs/plants like that!

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,372
    Ours are now completely covered in lovely green buds :dbgrtmb:

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Yes, I sauntered down to the bottom corner of the garden where mine is and it's budding up nicely!

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,372
    Just checking my thread subscriptions