1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra insurance on hire car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Aug 17, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Daughter and I are going for a short trip to Germany in September and hiring a car (booked). While I sincerely hope we won't have any issues I was wondering if it's a good idea to take out extra insurance should we have any mishaps, get a puncture/broken windscreen etc. The booking includes the hire company's basic insurance but doesn't cover punctures etc.
    I've driven abroad many times but usually in my own car and it's years since I hired a car and can't remember if I took out any extra insurances.
    Like any insurance it is a bit of a gamble on how much one needs. If taking out extra is a good idea, any suggestions as to which insurance company to use? Thanks.

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    I presume the hire co. know your taking it abroad? AA RAC cover ,spare bulbs etc so those French police dont extort money from you.

3. silu

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Sorry maybe I didn't make it clear we are hiring the car in Germany.

4. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    Aha,guess im needing sleep as i missed that bit :yawn: :doh:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      @silu I'm not even sure that you can take a hire car to Germany any more. As someone said, you need permission in writing from the hire car company. Also, its compulsory to have the original vehicle registration document with you.

Dont forget that it is also compulsory to have reflective vests and a first aid kit with you.

For the third time this year, I'll be in Germany in September.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Hi Silu , normally when you hire a car at the airport they will ask you too take out full damages waver . It is well worth taking this, then you don't get charged for a small bodywork scratch you did not notice . You should be able to check all this out on the hire company website - give them a call if you are not sure on anything . Other than that an automatic car may be useful so you don't have that pesky gear lever on your left hand side.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,229
        @silu

Can't help you with the car hire insurance bit but it's sometimes cheaper to book the Collision Damage Waver (if they still call it that) in advance with the hire company than at their local office.

A standard precaution you need to take with all car hire companies is to check the bodywork of the car with one of them present. They are supposed to go round the car with you and get you to sign a form that should note down any scratches, dents etc. Then they should check that against another list that should be completed when you return it.

Most companies don't bother to do the 'return' check and then hit you with a charge for damage to the vehicle. Even with CDW insurance you would still be hit with the excess charge which is usually quite high.

Ask for copies of these checks and if they say they don't do it then simply take a photo of the form.

If they don't do the checks then you should take a lot of good photos of the car's bodywork when picking up the car and especially when returning it ( take the photos on return even if they do have a check form). This includes taking photos of the tyres. A big scam is to say the tyres were damaged as people rarely take photos of them. I've handled a number of cases where this has happened. :blue thumb:

Also, check whether you have hired the car with a 'full tank' clause. Some hire agreements say that you pick the car up with a full tank and must return it with a full tank. This is a good idea but some companies have a habit of saying it came back empty and all companies charge double the rate of the price at the pumps. If you have a 'full tank' agreement take photos of the petrol gauge when you return it.

Make sure your camera is set to record time and date (most cameras are) and I'm sure that some of our GC members @wiseowl would be able to tell you how to do it if it's not already set.

Unfortunately, car hire companies are notorious for scamming customers. :sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          We might bump into each other:). We are hiring the car IN Germany. Ie flying to Munich and picking up a car near the airport. We are off to see all the "Disneyesk castles and The Black Forest region.
          If you are a regular to Germany @Sandy Ground maybe you might be able to advise me please. Slightly to my horror I have discovered the Octoberfest (spelling probably wrong!) starts on the 17th September and we need to drive back to Munich Airport during the evening of the 18th! Are the roads to Munich likely to be chaotic?

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thank you @shiney we have hired a car through a company called Germut who are meant to be good(hope so if needed) at fighting your corner re situations your are describing where you get slaughtered for damage you didn't cause.
          I am well aware of the full tank clause which is what we will have. This is better than empty to empty tho I think. Great idea re taking photos of the fuel gauge and tyres, that I HADN'T thought of!!!!!.
          There is something at the back of my mind which says it's better to take out extra insurance from a company other than the hire company but maybe wrong with this.
          Thanks @Harry the company supplying the car is Europecar but think I'll have a look at the Germut website and see what they are saying about extra cover.
          Daughter has actually volunteered to do the driving which is probably a good idea. I'm getting slightly past it driving on Autobahns which have no speed limits :yikes: and she in effect is a professional having a class 1 licence. She drives a VERY fast car herself but is sensible with it and hates to see the fuel gauge literally dropping before her very eyes so usually drives in what she calls "granny mode"...cheek! but will be better than me at judging others speed. It's been a learning curve as I didn't realise that unless the credit card used is in the name of the driver/s then the basic insurance is void! I was intending to pay but not drive. I had to get daughter put on my credit card so the insurance will be valid. All quite a do da but suppose it is easier, certainly quicker than driving to Germany in 1 of our own cars and A LOT cheaper. With what it's costing to fly C/O Squeezy Jet we'd be lucky to be able to drive to Birmingham for the same amount of money:).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
          • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            I dont get down to that area much, as most of my German friends live in the north, within a couple of hundred km of Hamburg. Judging by other big cities, there probably will be a lot of traffic. Depending on when you drive, of course.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,229
              Last month we flew to Munich but didn't hire a car. We travelled mainly through Austria and Hungary and had a wonderful time.

Have a really great holiday :dbgrtmb: