Eyewear

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Lots of changes over the years.
    At one time it was all independents, then the big stores got into it and then places like Vision Express and Specsavers.

The continual complaint from the public was, "Why do frames for prescription glasses cost so much more than those used in a pair of cheap sunglasses?"

It was just greed.

Things have changed, you can even buy them on line if you've your prescription.

I change mine every couple of years or less. As you get older, for most people the prescription you need changes that often.

I used to wear glasses all the time, I needed them to drive and for any sort of long vision. But I could read very small print. For the last several years it's reversed. I can now "legally" not need them for driving, but I need some to read very small print.

I've used Specsavers for years. Their prices have fallen in line with competition, you can get two pairs of "presentable" glasses for less than £100.

I had made an appointment a week ago for the eye test which I had this morning, in the meantime they sent me two e-mail reminders (as they did another customer who later was sitting next to me in the waiting area with whom I had a conversation. He also got a text reminder. I didn't as I wouldn't give them my mobile number).

On arrival, the receptionist "booked me in," and tried to hand me a clipboard with some photos and a lot of questions and boxes to tick.

What's this for?" said I, noticing that also attached to the clipboard was a leaflet with £10 in a block at the top.

"Oh it's just some information we need."

"Well, I think you've got all the information you need, I just need to sign a form for the eye test, I'm not ticking any more boxes."

She wasn't very happy tried to insist but eventually let it go. I signed the usual form and I sat down to wait to be seen.

I was first seen by a smart young man who did the usual pre-examination tests.
    They don't have to be qualified opticians, just know how to use the equipment.
    What always amuses me is the speech they learn which they go through every time.
    I've always found they speak like an automaton when giving it. I remembered bits of it from a year or so ago, but from a different assistant
    I'm sure eventually they'll get a machine that can do it.
    He showed me this very impressive other machine and mentioned the £10 test. I said "No thanks."

Then I saw the optician, a nice young lady, in her I guess, early thirties, wearing glasses.
    Now we come to the other bit that always amuses me.
    They have a lot of sophisticated equipment. It seems to change every time I go in.
    Long gone are the days when they put different lenses in a bulky frame on your head. Now you just look into a machine and it's all done from there.

But we're still "self diagnosing," ass we always had.

"Tell me which is best, number one...or number two?"

I mentioned it to her and we both had a laugh about it. She said she was the same. It's hard sometimes to decide.

She was very patient and took her time.

She said I needed a stronger prescription for reading and a weaker one for watching TV. (anything beyond arm's length is considered long vision).

Then it was time to choose frames. The assistant wanted to waltz me through the designer and higher priced frames. I left her and walked over to the £89 racks and quickly chose two different ones with "half frames," one for reading and one for long vision.

"I said these will do. I'll have two pairs of each."

She looked a bit dumb struck as there was still a woman with another assistant trying to decide on a frame and she'd been at it since I went in for my examination, which was a good twenty minutes ago or more.

They are similar to what I had before, I kept one pair in my car in case I have a long journey and my eyes got tired, they're also a spare in case I set on the other ones, and two for reading.
    One to keep in my "office" (our box bedroom) for looking at the lap-top and one to go under the coffee table in the front room. Though I can manage without them unless I need to read very small print.

The last sales pitch was, "Now what about anti-glare for driving or watching TV? That'll be another £30."

I politely said, "I don't need them for driving and modern TVs adjust the brightness according to the amount of light in the room, so they don't glare."
    So no sale there.

In the end it was painless and they'll be ready next Tuesday, I'm expecting a couple of e-mail reminders.

• Like Like x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

While I do agree to some degree with your way of handling the usual hard sell you can be given at specsavers or any other opticians, think you might be missing some helpful advice.

Think that £10 Test you are referring to is known as the OCT scan which can be very useful in giving early warning of problems within the eye, partic in us older folk.

I had one a few years ago at a private optician and he explained the results , showing the scan images as he talked, was very interesting and reassuring.

As for Anti Reflect coatings etc , yes they do seem very expensive, but for some folk, me included they do make a lot of difference.

What was noticeable from your post was no mention of bi or varifocals ?

My last test was at specsavers and they offered me varifocals on the basis if I could not get used to them they would replace with new bifocals for Free.
      Pleased to say I soon got used the the vari focals, very handy and no obvious lens lines though for long sessions of close work I still use full frame reading glasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Most of eye problems show symptoms that an experienced optician will pick up. At seventy-nine, I'm not really looking long term.
        Been down the bi-focal, varifocal and contact lens trail before. But was never happy with them.
        I found as I tend to lay back in my Stressless recliner when watching TV. the bit for watching TV in varifocals was in the wrong place.

Digressing.

Many years ago at work. I was talking to a visiting buyer in my office when there was a knock at the door and one of the female managers came in. She was a very attractive twenty-five year old.
        We had a short conversation during which I said; "You're fluttering your eyelashes at me again, stop it." at which she laughed and then she left.

After she'd gone, I turned to the buyer and said. "It's not what you're thinking, she wasn't really fluttering her eyelashes at me, she's obviously put her new contacts in again this morning and she's still having a hard time getting used to them."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019