1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

"F1 Swift" Sweetcorn seeds

Discussion in 'Swaps/Freebies' started by Snowbaby, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    I have a new/unopened packet of F1 Swift Sweetcorn seeds if anyone can use them? I hate throwing stuff out if someone can make use! The packet says to sow Apr/May, plant out in the garden May/June and harvest Aug/Sept

Not particularly looking for anything in exchange but if anyone has spare seeds for a veggie that is VERY easy to grow/care for outside (no greenhouse though), I would be grateful!

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    You sure you can't grow them? I grow Swift Sweetcorn every year and it tastes delicious!

3. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    Is it easy enough? I only do container growing... would a container work for these?

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Biggest problem (in your case I think) with Sweetcorn is that you don't get a lot of crop. Probably only one cob per plant. (Thus you may prefer to grow higher yielding veg - runner beans or Courgettes)

You can plant them as close as a foot apart, and you need a block of about 9 plants (they pollinate by wind rather than insects), so if you can't organise that set up in container(s) then its probably a non starter.

But Sweetcorn sugars start to change to starch from the moment they are picked, so the cobs you buy in the Supermarket taste nothing like as sweet as ones that you pick from the garden and have in boiling water in a few minutes, and because the difference is so pronounced they are high on the list of vegetable gardeners' favourites

5. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hmmm I don't have the space for that then. :(

Would you like them? Or anyone else?

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    That's kind, thanks, but I have loads of Sweetcorn seed :)

7. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117