1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

False Acacia is it dead!??

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Deonne, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Deonne

Deonne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone help me!?? My partner and I inherited a beautiful false acacia tree when we bought our house 2 years ago. Each spring it usually has golden green leaves followed by beautiful rich pink flowers that the bees adore. Only this year, it's almost May and no buds, no leaves at all. Is it dead or has our very cold winter just delayed it??? I have a golden Robinia in the garden also but a younger tree and this has already started to show it's leaves.

I don't want to loose it if possible but it just looks so bare and I am starting to worry. Help!!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
  3. Deonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Pete,

Yes! That's the one! That's a great idea with the bark test and I certainly didn't think of that. I will do that this weekend and let you know the outcome. Thanks a lot!

4. Deonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I checked the bark a few weeks back and there was green underneath so i took that to be good news! But still no sign of life; no leaves, buds, anything! However there seems to be a new tree growing up through the soil next to it??

I can only presume the tree is slowly dieing but I may be able to save the offshoot??

Such a shame, a beautiful tree :(

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    Got a sneaky feeling the new shoot might be from a rootstock,ie its not the same plant.
    Your plant could well have been grafted.

It might look similar at the moment, but time will tell.

A picture would be good.

6. Deonne

Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you mean. Do they graft onto another Robina? Or another tree type completely??

I have attached some photos of my poor bare tree and the new plant alongside it. Any help is very much appreciated!!

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    I think thats a sucker coming from the root system.

Its probably grafted onto Robinia pseudoacacia, is my guess, it looks very vigourous.

Let it grow for a while and decide later what to do.

8. Deonne

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again, and thank you so very much for your advice and swift response. The sucker has come up within a week and is growing very fast. I will do as you suggest and let you know how it gets on.

Thanks again, really appreciate your help :D