1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

FAO Sal

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by stephenprudence, Mar 5, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Thought you may be interested.. and anyone else who is interested in Gasteraloes.

Long story short, found this in a houseplant section, and thought looks hardy, lets experiment..

Here's my Gasteraloe (Gasteria x aloe) after a winter in the ground.. a little discoloured around the edge, but looks fairly happy... happier in fact that Aloe aristata!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      [​IMG]Great result Stephen , will try to find one myself.
      those are my aloe aristatas after a long winter , bit scraffy but incredile they are recovering from inside as well .....as you can notice ,the center is regrowing after it was killed down by the frost and snow plus lots of offset are coming out , not bad for a not more hardy then -5c .

This year I`ve lost more cactus inside the greenhouse that outside ......really need to rething about overwintering.

the aloe striatuala still up and more shocking the only echeveria I got let is the one I`ve left outdoor under the aloe .

[​IMG]

• stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,368
      Love Aloe striatula.. doesn't love me though.. I'd give it another try.. Good results indeed in your garden! Like yours the Aloe aristata is growing back from the centre.. its good fast hardy Aloe. I find Echeveria quite good.. I lost one this winter outside due to rot, but have one left. I would suggest airflow is the common success feature?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      My A.striatula has come through happily too, despite being in a small pot.