1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

FAO Victoria/Lorea/anyone - A few photos of Mediterranean plants growing wild/in cultivation here...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by stephenprudence, Jun 9, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    Long winded title but went on a walk today and had the phone camera out (not great quality)..

I have some interesting plants with mostly Mediterranean origins (though some are native here too)

1. Lavatera arborea from the west coasts of Mediterranean (and British Isles)
    IMG_0713.JPG

2. Lampranthus roseus growing on a wall outside someones house.. quite a large specimen.. just flowering now with all the nice sunny weather we've had.
    IMG_0714.JPG

3. A Mediterranean native (maybe here too), Oxalis.. not sure of the name?
    IMG_0715.JPG

4. Cistus x corbariensis, in cultivation
    IMG_0718.JPG

5. Cistus purpureus starting the flowering season
    IMG_0717.JPG

Not strictly Mediterranean (from China in fact) but the last two photos show the naturalisation of Buddleia globosa in heathland verge habitat (surprisingly the rangers haven't got rid of it)

IMG_0720.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,368
      IMG_0721.JPG

• Like Like x 4
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,720
        Hi Sweetheart, just tried to Skype you ... I am on line for a while if you want to chat ... xx

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        Very nice.
        Lampranthus is from the Cape area of South Africa, and does well under similar conditions.

• Lorea

Lorea Wine drinker

English teacher
        Ratings:
        +1,363
        Thanks Stephen! I think these past few days the UK has been getting more mediterranean weather than we have, so those plants probably feel more at home there right now! Even the broom, which is everywhere just behind our house, is dragging it's feet this year, and I can't say I blame it!