1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast germinating/growing climber

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, May 10, 2015.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,514
    I have had one of those years so far (haven't we all!) where some stuff has romped away and other stuff just has not germinated. I am now bricking it for most things (other than dahlias), with even trailing plants being a big, big problem (my petunia seedlings are still absolutely tiny), however climbing stuff I had planned (canary creeper) has not germinated at all despite a couple of attempts - so, I find myself in need of a climber that will germinate quickly and then get itself going fast, and won't be shy about climbing up a tree or three.

My mind immediately went to nasturtium, but I haven't been able to get them to go up any of the trees in years past; I was wondering about one of the clematis family (montana maybe?) or even a Virginia creeper - however, I would prefer flowers which kinda puts the mockers on the Virginia creeper

Any suggestions?

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you after a perennial or an annual FC...I can recommend Mina Lobata/Spanish flag for quick germination:thumbsup:

3. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,514
    Probably annual at this stage @Lolimac, but to be honest I am not fussed - if I can get a perennial that will tear away this year, then I will be happy. I am off to have a look at seeds for Spanish Flag, thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Don't be too quick to dispose of the idea of Virginia Creeper. Once established it will romp away (by the 2nd/3rd year). It is only now showing signs of life after it's winter sleep and even though it doesn't have flowers it does have *the* most amazing autumnal colouring you could wish for! :wub2:

Plus, if you are on the arty/crafty side, it makes really good decorative wreath bases too (spray silver or gold and decorate according to desired affect) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You could always partner it up with a clematis if you are determined to have flowers (try clematis tangutica ... with it's lovely seedheads against the VC autumnal leaf, it does make quite a show ;) ).

• Like Like x 3
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Last edited: May 10, 2015
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,514
        And yet, I cannot for the life of me get canary creeper to go - I don't know what I am doing wrong with it. I might launch the remaining seeds at the border and see what happens

• Creative Creative x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Now that is a lovely Clematis "M" :dbgrtmb: So another £10 into the garden money pit !

• Funny Funny x 3
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,514
            I must confess, I do like your idea @"M" - it is certainly a likely combo to be on one side of my plot before long.

• Friendly Friendly x 1