Fast growing evergreen climbers to block out nosey neighbour!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lb7110, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lb7110

lb7110 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    Our neighbour has raised decking and him also being over 6ft tall, every time we are in the garden or even in our conservatory he seems to be there watering his vegetables right next to his fence. Have decided on some trellis with something growing up that stays evergreen. In a large trough would a jasmine and a passion flower cover and grow QUICKLY as need something to block out his head peering over!! He is very friendly but after last Summer and already he is ALWAYS there it is driving us crazy!! URGENT REPLIES APPRECIATED :)

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi

Poor you we had a rugby guy visit next door and he was just under 7 foot so I know what you mean

The pot would have to big realy big or a half oak barrel would work best home base have them on sale now
    I personaly think you have a good choice Armandi Clematis is a good one and evergreen but a large leaf ivy would be the best as it can put up with the wind as the Armandi Clematis does like a bit of protection from a wall to grow best also you could use a Montana clematis grows realy quickly but sheds its leaves at the end of the year, but who wants to sit outside in the winter , now is a good time to plant use a soil compost Jonn inns number 3 added grit I know I say this all the time but its going to be in the pot a long time and that will help

So I would have two barrels one with the ivy and another with a montana clematis so as one is realy getting going you can slowly train the ivy to cover in the winter I have this combination on the one side kids next door with trampoline and they are just about to flower and they both realy grow well together

Hope this helps and I do understand ( high fences make good neibours) and if you want realy quick russian vine !!!!

Spruce

3. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Don't plant Russian vine, you will regret it if you stay in the house longer than a few years. It is likely to find a way to escape from a pot and they become uncontrollable.

Plant in the ground if you can - then your plants will grow bigger and need less care. But if you really can't, do as Spruce says, get really big containers, with watering trays underneath as they will need constant watering in summer.

TBH, I don't think even jasmine, ivy, etc will grow fast enough to do the job this summer so you might be best planting several more containers with stuff that works NOW. A small potted tree or two would provide a leafy canopy almost straight away, for example, though it would probably cost you £30+. Sweet peas, cup and saucer vine, even runner beans would give you decent cover by August and you could grow something more permanent behind them in different pots.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865
      Just a thought, but for a slightly more 'instant' solution - put up your trellis but cover it with windbreak/shade netting. Yes, it's green and still slightly see-through, but it'll be far more difficult for him to peer through and if he says anything about it, just say you obviously needed to put it up before the plants grew to give them something to cling on to. Worked for me!

• Like Like x 1
      • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Have you considered putting up a sail or canopy.

You can make one quite simply yourself with canvas, eyelets and rope.
        [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• lb7110

lb7110 Gardener

Gardener
        Ratings:
        +0
        Very nice pics but wouldnt stop our problem! Thanks anyway. Nothing is going to grow quick enough to stop it now and cant think of anything else except the trellis with netting perhaps really thick netting!!!!!!!!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        "Nothing is going to grow quick enough to stop it "

That's the rub.

You could plant Leylandii, which will grow 3 feet a year ... but will then carry on growing 3 feet a year forever, and be a major headache.

You can plant a slower-grower and get an instant screen by buying mature plants - "no trouble, just a little expense" :(

Personally I like Pleached Trees for an above-the-hedge barrier. You'll either have to be patient, or have deep pockets and buy already-mature plants.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/...ening-out-overlooking-windows.html#post404559

there are some other ideas in that thread too, and this one:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/beginners-garden-development/31780-plants-hedge-screening.html

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
        +437
        Assuming you wont be up for burning down his decking, try posting a sheaf of adverts from a local estate agency through their letter box.

BTW what are you all doing in your gardens and conservatory that's so very interesting?

• bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
        Ratings:
        +313
        hmm we built a 2metre 8 fence round the back garden and lots of gorgeous bamboo to block out our nosy neighbours :thumbsup:

• goosegog5555

goosegog5555 Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +134
        Really interested in this post as I have the same problem. I considered most of the above but.... I am worried in case Branches or Bamboo grows and pokes into their ( next door) garden. My neighbours are definately not friendly. Their Decking must be about 4 ft high.

• Prudence Potts

Prudence Potts Gardener

Ratings:
        +37
        I think that if the decking really is 4ft high, then it is in breach of planning regulations (assuming he did not submit a planning application). I should check with your Local Authority since the guideline is decking should be no more than 1ft (300 cm) off the ground.

• Georngel

Georngel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Lol yeah 300cm would be even worse, that means there decking would be about a metre higher than a fence

• NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
        Ratings:
        +1,051
        Im guessing that the Russian Vine comment was tongue in cheek!

Pleached trees are a good suggestion, they can be a bit pricey though. Personally I like Jasmine, evergreen and smell divine, but not exactly quick growing.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        This thread is over four years old......

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1