1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast Growing, Snail proof climber?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Jul 2, 2007.

1. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I am trying to grow two clematis up a small stone wall and then on to a trellis. It is proving absolutely impossible as everytime the poor beggars send out a new shoot, snails eat it. I patrol the garden twice a day (collected 100 the other weekend!) and I am starting to get on top of it but new ones are always crawling over the wall from next door so it seems impossible. I will have this problem every year so think I am best trying something else instead. I cannot guard my clematis 24/7! I have a rose so want something different and hopefully fast growing to cover the trellis. any ideas?

Many thanks EGW

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    The problem is probably the wall itself. Snails adore the crooks and nannies between the stones. All you are doing at present is the snail equivalent of 'Meals on wheels'. Sadly any tender shoots on any climber are going to be attacked. Once upon a time the answer would have been to spray the wall with Potassium permangante or the liquid slug killer which used to be sold. (Sluggit?). We have the same problem with the retaining walls alongside a cobbled path, when I find a cure I will post it.
    Actually, if you have one of those Gas weed wand things, you can use it on all the crevices on the wall, it does reduce the population on your side a lot!

3. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow Palutris, if I had one of those I'd have no problem using it against the little beggars! I used to show compassion, but not anymore :mad:

I have collected more than 300 snails in the last month and as we have just had the whole place flattened and landscaped with barely a shrub to hide under I just cannot fathom where they all come from - I reckon next door are farming them or something!

Think I'll just need to live with them and find plants they don't like!

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Ivy is probably about the only thing. How about a climbing rose, they don't seem to suffer from slug attack in my garden?
    I have found that established plants can withstand slug attack in most cases.
    Oh yes, you could try bindweed, I'm sure they don't eat that...
    :mad:

5. elliegreenwellie

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Liz yes I have some Ivy on the same wall some of which I have lifted and tied on to the new trellis (trying to creat a screen with the pub next door) whilst it hasn't died it doesn't seem too keen on it's new home and isn't really growing on it. Also the beggars use it as a great place to hide on the wall and I find them underneath the leaves everyday! I have one rose which seems to be unaffected,perhaps I'll plant another - If anyone can breed a snail proof clematis some gardeners will be forever grateful!

6. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Is your wall brick? If so you could try salt on the wall or snail pellets, they could have a good feed and never make it in your garden.
    I do know some members won't agree but it may get them under control.

7. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It does sound as if your slugs and snails have found a lovely hidey place somewhere, maybe in the wall.

How about a couple of beer traps on the ground, this should appeal to them much more than the plants and maybe you could free slops from the pub next door to fill them!

TO