1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding station

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Sheal, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    I'm waiting for a feeding station that I've ordered to be delivered. The hooks for hanging feeders are quite open and I'm wondering if they can be squeezed closer together to stop crows and animals taking them. Any ideas would be much appreciated please. :)

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Not quite sure what you mean. But most hooks are made of mild steel and can be closed up with a pair of pliers.

This is a bird feeder we bought but returned because the starlngs swung on it and emptied it as the feeding apertures were too big. As you can see it is suspended from a cup hook screwed into a beam of our pergola. If we'd kept it, I'd have closed the hook up a lot, so the feeder couldn't easily come off.

P1020199.JPG

Conversely you can get "eyes" of any size. i.e. like a closed up cup hook. These you can open up slightly with a pair of pliers if you need to hang something from it rather than tie it to it.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I would expect they will be made of mild steel, so should bend with a pair of pliers. I'd grip the very end of each hook with pliers. (I'd use a mole wrench, if you have one) holding the other bit with your hand and try twisting it a bit at a time. The rest of the hook needs to be supported whilst you bend it, to prevent it breaking at the top.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,599
      Thank you. :) I'll check them out when it arrives to see how pliable they are, I don't want to break them.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      I wouldn’t bend the hook closed. You would then need pliers every time you need to fill up the feeders and I think you’d find it too much trouble.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,937
        If you fill the feeders in place, then you could put a cable tie around the feeders hanger and the hook, this will help the feeder to stay in place

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,485
          I'm no expert but I suspect you won't be able to bend them. I wouldn't do so anyway :noidea:. It's quite likely that the hooks are long enough that they wouldn't lift the feeder off them. I don't think the crows could do it but squirrels can get round most ways of stopping them. Your feeder is one that you stick the pole into the ground. It will take a squirrel baffle such as this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-A0...1&keywords=bird+feeder+station+squirrel+guard

We use one and they've never got around it - but it doesn't stop them trying, and it's fun watching them! We've recently bought our second one in 20 years as the old one eventually cracked when the bird feeder didn't stand up to the strong winds. It will depend on how deeply you spike it into the ground. Our feeder has feet instead of a spike, which gives it a 5ft base but if I forget to take the big feeder off the top when it's very windy it can topple over (it stands 9ft high with the top feeder :rolleyespink:.

The centre of gravity on yours will be much lower :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,599
            Redwing I didn't want to close them completely which I stated in my post.

I need to remove them Jiffy for filling and washing from time to time. Thanks for the idea though.

Thanks Shiney. I've dropped the idea of closing them in case they break. There are no squirrels here but crows may be a problem. There's also my mystery animal from last year that I still haven't discovered. I suspect it's a Pine Marten and very adept at removal. I'll be keeping a vigil for this again overnight during spring and summer. I'll see how things go and if the feeders are removed I'll have to devise something.

• Like Like x 2
            • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,830
              Lucky you. I would be very excited to have a pine Martin coming into my garden!

• Friendly Friendly x 1