1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fence Project: Where neighbours land is beyond fence line

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by richard6298, Jun 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. richard6298

richard6298 Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. I actually live in a council house. New neighbour (private house) thinks about putting up a wall, or fence, nothing yet decided. My parents told me that the land of the house located at the back end of my garden extends into my garden 1 foot beyond the old fence-line. I'm minded to take that as being true. The land height of my neighbours land is about 1 meter above my garden ground level. The difference in height has probably existed hundreds if not thousands of years. I intend to re-install a banking of earth that used to slope downwards from my neighbours land height to my garden level. Also, I want to put up a new fence on either side of my property that will provide security on the left and right sides of my property. OK, the issue is that piece of land that extends 1 foot from the old fence line. In the interests of security, I could place the end post say 2 inches from the old fence line. And if the neighbour puts a fence up on the old fence-line there is only 2" for a miscreant to squeeze through. Not likely. But, that post would be on the land of my neighbour. Would anyone like to make any comment or "observations". Thank you. Rich

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    I would start by looking at what plans, land registry documents etc you and your neighbour have with your neighbour. Then have a look at the present situation on the ground, again with neighbour for any sign of old boundary alignment with other neighbours etc. After that see if you and neighbour can reach agreement on where the boundary is, mark it and both of you work to that.
    I wouldn't want a 2" gap between my fence and anything as it makes maintenance difficult. Why not run your side fences up to the neighbours new fence.

• Agree Agree x 1