1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fencing Query

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by hmltnangel, Sep 6, 2017.

1. hmltnangel

hmltnangel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Howdy folks, couldnt really see where else to add this and its realllly bugging me. :D

Moved into a new build property 10 months ago and seemed like nice people all around. However, things changed when a new fence arrived between us and next door. The odd ones next door then decided never to speak again. Oh well, no issue - plenty other neighbours.

Fast forward to tonight and I was just about to start adding some slats to my side to double slat the rather ugly fence thats there and one of them comes running out to say - dont do that. Now the only excuse she could muster was that the fence would fall down if any weight was added to my side due to the way it was built. (bonkers I know -the posts are 2.4m 100x100 fence posts concreted in and sitting only 1.9m above ground - so a good half metre down).

Well anyway, I noted to her that as she had removed the jointly owned small fence between us without my consent, and added this monstrosity of a thing between us directly on the same line as the old one I never wanted removed, that she shouldnt really be dictating how I should 'decorate' my side of this thing.

Now I understand that technically she owns this one and I shouldnt be adding things to it, however surely there must be some precedent about what I can do due to the fact that she removed an existing barrier I couldve done what I wanted with .... and replaced it with one that she is refusing to allow any additions to.

My thoughts are

- ask for the original fence to be put back in exactly as it was. Which would coincidentally mean she has to get hers taken down and moved a good six inches into her garden.

- alternatively - build my own fence on the posts which are now there.

- Lastly - I could do this with any of the above too for added effect - build a complete new fence and use my full 2 metre allowance of fence height in Scotland to make their fence look silly. In addition I would expect that I could remove any concrete that they have ended up having within my garden as well due to those big fence poste they put in. Im guessing this wouldnt make their fence very secure.

Hmmmmmm, anyways - whats the opinions kind folks ? Any other options?

thanks in advance.

2. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    If the fence is there's you shouldn't be attaching anything to it, there also in there right to remove it,

You will have to build a new one if you want your own, in general the right hand side belongs to you but check the deeds to make sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Martin is right, you must ascertain if the fence [a] does form part of the neighbour's property rights, and if it on her property. Adding slats or the like, if the fence does belong to her, without her permission can lead to claims of damage to her property.

'fraid not:nonofinger::dunno: There is no precedent in Law that says that she has relinquished ownership of the land that the previous fence was on and is between the new fence.

Again, if the fence did/does belong to your neighbour then so do the posts, and therefore you cannot use them without her permission.:dunno:

To be honest, you would achieve very little apart from panting and sweating from the effort of trying to remove any concrete from the posts that may be in your soil. Also, it would be extremely hard to remove the "offending" concrete cleanly and there's a great chance that you would damage/crack/split the concrete on your neighbour's side, possibly weakening the posts and fence.......and again that could lead to claims of damage to property.:wallbanging:
      So, if you are determined to raise the height of the fence between you and your neighbour probably the only safe and legal way is, as you suggested, to build a new 2 meter fence built against the offending fence...........but using your own bought posts.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • hmltnangel

Ratings:
        +9
        Thanks guys.

Ok, the fence that originally was there, was to the right of the property from the front. It was directly on the boundary line between the two properties. I suppose it comes down to who owned the original fence and whether she had the right to remove it without permsission.

If it was right on the boundary - how do we figure that out?

If the posts are even slightly onto my property, does that change matters (I know at least a few of them are at least an couple of inches further onto my side as the original holes are still there)

If its wholly on her side of the boundary line - then clearly im outta luck and brand new 2m fence it is :snorky:

PS - I would add I wasnt planning to change the height in any way etc - only to double slat the thing following the same height all the way

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836

"Your property boundaries

Most land in England and Wales is registered with general boundaries that show the extent of the land.

When a property is registered, HM Land Registry creates a drawing called a ‘title plan’. This will only show the general boundaries of the property, unless the previous owners had worked out the exact boundaries.

You can get a copy of the title plan for any registered property in England and Wales.

You can also find land or property boundaries in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Boundary agreements
        You and your neighbours can decide where the boundaries between your properties are by making a boundary agreement. Check your deeds first to see if there are any existing boundary agreements on any of your properties. You can make a new agreement if there aren’t.

If possible, you should have a copy of your boundary agreement in writing, signed by you and your neighbours.

Boundary features
        A boundary feature is any structure that separates your property from your neighbour’s, such as a fence, wall or hedge. There are no laws about who owns these or which side of the boundary feature you’re responsible for - you can decide this in your boundary agreement.

Working out the exact boundary
        You can apply to set the exact boundary for your land or property if you want to.

You should get as much information as possible from your title plan, registry documents and other documentation before you apply. You can get information about neighbouring properties from HM Land Registry.

You can apply to have your boundary agreement added to the title plan of your and your neighbours’ properties. Fill in form AP1 and send it to HM Land Registry with a copy of the boundary agreement and the appropriate fee.

You can also ask a surveyor to draw up a detailed plan and send this to HM Land Registry, with a completed application to determine the exact line of a boundary, £90 fee and any agreements with neighbours.

Neighbour disputes about boundaries
        If you haven’t sent a signed agreement from your neighbours with your application, HM Land Registry will contact them to check they’re happy with your plan.

HM Land Registry will refer the dispute to the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber - Land Registration) if you and your neighbour can’t agree on the boundaries. The tribunal will make a decision on what should happen - you may have to go to a hearing.

Find out more about property disputes and boundariesfrom HM Land Registry.

Registration mistakes
        If you think there’s a mistake in your registration, write to HM Land Registry and explain what’s wrong.

HM Land Registry
        Citizen Centre
        PO Box 74
        Gloucester
        GL14 9BB "

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi, well, if it is on her property then she can legally remove the fence:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
          • martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            If its her fence I would forget about it, your creating yourself a problem that you have no legal right on, she can take it down and leave no fence there if she so wished, its hers to do as she pleases,

As mentioned if you don't like her fence build your own making sure no damage happens to hers while doing so.

• Like Like x 1
            • hmltnangel

Ratings:
              +9
              I know ultimately that's what's gonna happen. Doesn't stop me being as awkward as possible to her, just because she's being exactly that to me.

It's not a big deal to build a new fence, just a pain in the you know what's. Funny thing is, I actually offered to pay for half the fence if she was replacing it, and even agreed with her man that I'd be double slatting whatever went there. Now the monstrosity appeared and she refused to discuss any kind of way to move forward.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a specific boundary line and whether she stayed within her side. I think my point not quite picked up correctly earlier was that the existing fence was there on the boundary and effectively this could be considered as jointly owned by both of us. She removed it without consulting and built something which is totally different in its exact location. To top it off she's being a silly something and being very awkward.

It just makes a mockery of the poor guys on the other sides of my place. For instance, I removed all the slats from the fence to the rear, after speaking with those neighbours and agreeing I'd renail the slats i removed from my side and new rails onto their sides for free just so I could have a fence that matched all the way around and was double slatted for privacy. The two guys to the rear were delighted, saving them few hundrer bucks minimum each.

• martin-f

Ratings:
              +10,302
              Sorry but your the one being awkward as far as I can see, the women is just doing as she pleases with her own property and you don't like it :scratch:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,890
                I agree with Martin, I think this is just a petty dispute.
                Why don't you just put some netting up and grow Sweet Peas ? You could then offer her some next year and perhaps calm the situation down a bit.

• Like Like x 2
                • hmltnangel

Ratings:
                  +9
                  I know, I know. It is a petty dispute. Just one that annoyed me after trying hard with them to begin with. Even went as far as speaking with the fencer when he was there to try and split the bill ....he said she had refused.

Suppose I'm just used to nice neighbours who work with you. If the situation was reversed....I'd be out helping them fit the slats. It's a new experience to have awkward neighbours.

To be honest, I already knew the answers but it's good to have a little vent of frustration :) The best bit as well is now I can build the new fence to fit how my garden is. We split the level in ours but were gonna just leave the fence height the same, now I can match the fence to the same height of the split levels all the way.

As far as sweet peas go.....it's a dead zone next door. There's some grass and a few conifers, along with some ornamental trees in a few pots. Aside from that.... Nothing. Its low maintenance I suppose I and fair enough if that's your thing. Exactly the opposite for me. That's the part of mine I can't wait to get into. Planting all the nice things that will flower next year. :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,465
                    An interesting situation.

Even if the fence is on the boundary (normal situation) it doesn't belong to both parties unless written into an original sale contract by the builders. Being a new build you could ask the builders who the fence belongs to but I suspect they will say that they don't know.

The old way of telling which garden it's in goes back to when the boundary line on the registered plans showed fence posts in a T shape. The cross bar on the T would represent the boundary line and the main stem would stick into the garden of the house that owned it. I don't know if that is still considered correct.

Looking on the Land Registry plans will show a boundary but, as a pencil line thickness is probably anything up to the equivalent of 6" - 12" on the land, you would have a bit of a problem.

Boundary disputes are not worth getting into, especially nowadays. When you come to wanting to sell your house you now, by law, have to say whether you have had any trouble with neighbours. If you make them look as though they are awkward you may have problems selling.

If the fence is theirs then you also have no right to grow things up it. If you're really peed off then just build a fence your side and forget about it.

It all seems a bit of a storm in a teacup to me. :noidea:

Before you build your 2m high fence you had better read your contract from the builders. Some builders put a covenant into the contract saying you can't build higher than a certain amount. The legal maximum height doesn't apply if it's a covenant of sale.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      It's not so much the additional 'weight' that could cause a problem, but the increase in wind resistance by changing a 'hit and miss' slatted fence to a solid one, but that's not knowing what was there previously.

If that bit about ownership of the original fence is correct, I'll be careful about what I say your neighbours have done, but that's very naughty.

As for 'decoration' literally, unless ownership/etc. is clearly established there's the potential for conflict when the 'owners/non-owners?' of one side of the fence decide to paint it with bright blue 'Garden Shades' paint, which will drip/run through the other side, ruining their neighbour's discreet fence treatment.

Then there's issues such as neighbours deciding to grow climbing ivy up fencing they consider doesn't provide them with sufficient privacy, and when the ivy then starts damaging the fencing, and then the 'owner' of the fence wants to remove and treat their panels/or even replace their fencing, but their neighbour informs them that they can't do that as it will damage their ivy!

• Like Like x 1
                        Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
                      • hmltnangel

Ratings:
                        +9
                        Yes I know it's such a small simple thing, just frustrating, that's all. End of the day, I can build mines how I like now instead of trying to be reasonable and following the line they put.

The builders only input was that the fence belonged to both homes. In addition, a lengthy read of the deeds/conditions shows that there's nothing to stop me following local planning guidelines. It does however state in there that we aren't allowed to remove the fences put up by the builders and if we do, then it has to be the same style and pattern as the original and were both repsonsible for the upkeep of it.

The fence that has been put up was close boarded and I wanted to make my side slatted. 1800/100/20mm with a 20mm gap. Any issues they have with it catching the wind....is their own doing.

The

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836

• Agree Agree x 2