1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fertilizers ?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by helen, Apr 17, 2010.

1. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I have a question about fertilizers... I'm going to have a go at growing tomatoes in a hanging basket on my balcony, the "tumbling Tom" variety.
    I've read several books about planting them etc... and they talk about mixing the soil with slow- release fertilizer.
    Do I need to get a specific Tomatoe fertilizer or can I use any "universal" fertilizer for this ? As I also intend planting various flowers outside so I was hoping I could use the same fertilizer for everything and not have to buy several different types....

I'd appreciate your ideas on this... thanks !

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    tomorite or anyother tomato fertilizer has the right ratio for for flowering and fruiting plants. Can be used for roses and tomatoes.

Put some moisture retaining gell in the hanging baskets and water frequently each day. Put a maigold, african or french, in each hanging basket

3. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello, thanks for your reply...
    Ok for the the fertilizer, I have bought a specific one for tomatoes..
    You mentioned maigold roses but I don't think there would be enough space in the baskets for a maigold aswell, my baskets are only 30cm in diameter (I wanted bigger ones but couldn't find them).
    As for moisture retaining gel : I'm having having trouble finding that too... I live in Belgium and they don't seem to have any (or I'm not looking in the right places) if all fails I'll get some sent over from friends in UK.I'm in no hurry as the tomatoe plants aren't ready to be planted outside yet...
    thanks again !

4. wurzel

wurzel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i read an article by monty don who said when toms start to grow use a fertilizer that is rich in nitrogen and when fruiting starts use a good all round tomatoe fertilizer