1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fig-leaf gourd

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Saliha, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Saliha

Saliha Gardener

practical nurse
    Ratings:
    +308
    Has anyone tried fig-leaf gourd (Cucurbita ficifolia) before? I got seeds before from Thailand and call them as shark fin melons even it´s not their official name. This is the fourth year with them for me and I have been quite surprised how well they grow here north as they come originally from Mexico region.

They grow huge - can be over 10 meters long and usually make fruits like crazy.

[​IMG]

I grow them in the compost beds so they get enough nutritions. Fruits become from 2 to 5 kg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing in here is that slugs and snails don´t eat their leaves (and at the same time they munch leaves of zucchinis beside of those ones with good appetite).

• Like Like x 3
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      [​IMG] @Saliha mellons I just :wub2:them...yours look great and the growing rate.

I am surprised like yourself they're growing in your country being a Mexican based food..nice one [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,694
          Nice plant to grow, but not sure what I would with the fruits?:scratch::biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Saliha

Saliha Gardener

practical nurse
            Ratings:
            +308
            Yep that might be a problem if there is a lot of them but they stay edible a long time. I still have some from the last year and they are almost as fresh like at the last autumn. In Mexico, they are used also for sweets and in the Far East for vegetable soups. As their fruit flesh is a bit like dried shark fin, that´s why they are called there as "shark fin melon".

• Informative Informative x 3