Filling raised beds

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Notty1975, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi all got some raised beds in my plot and need to fill them to the top would well aged manure (10 years+) be ok for this and then turn it in
    Thanks all for looking

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      @Notty1975 Depends what you want grow..​
      I found this article somewhere and saved it as I have some raised beds.. No idea who the author is... Just found it again for you, I did this in my own way so hope it helps you too.

If it is on soil, cover the base of the raised bed with cardboard (keeps out most of the perennial weeds).
      Fill the bottom of the bed with any organic matter I can find - part rotted compost or horse manure (if known to be safe from weedkillers), garden trimmings etc (avoid perennial roots and things that have gone to seed), leaves, grass cuttings, shredded paper, cardboard, natural textiles such as wool or cotton etc. You can put things in layers to make a "lasagne" bed. I then top it off with well rotted compost or the contents of spent grow bags etc depending on what is available. If I have any I may add some soil. Basically the more inorganic matter (soil, sand etc) you add, the less topping up you will need to do in future. If everything you add is organic you will find that the filling sinks as the contents rot down. I would therefore be more inclined to use at least some soil if I was planting perennials like rosemary. If everything you are adding is very fresh you might like to leave it a little while to rot a bit as some things (particularly grass) can get very hot and scorch young plants.

For root crops I would be wary of adding manure. It contains a lot of nitrogen and this can cause the roots to become "hairy" or fork. Potatoes are ok in manure - the potatoes are technically not roots they are swollen underground stems.
      Click to expand...​

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,278
        I found that the cheapest way was to go to my local recycling plant and buy 100l bags of compost @ 50p a bag then fill the last few inches with MPC
        You have to fill the bags and carry yourself at that price, and only councils that have the high temperature composting actually sell it, the others low temperature just use it on their roundabouts and gardens

• Like Like x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          Years ago when I made some raised beds I did just what you are suggesting @Notty1975 . It worked very well but over the years you will need to add to it as the manure breaks down. The cardboard layer to begin is a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
          • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
            Ratings:
            +107
            Thanks for all the help and advice everyone