First ever greenhouse

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by DK MacPhee, Dec 22, 2020.

1. DK MacPhee

DK MacPhee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello! My wife and I have decided to buy a greenhouse and she's left it to me to arrange. We have a fairly big garden so we can consider a 8x6 model, perhaps 10x6, with toughened glass. We've narrowed our choice down to one of the Halls or Simplicity greenhouses. Rain and wind are two of the factors in play in our thinking as we live about 15 miles outside Glasgow. Any pros or cons of those two brands to consider when making our decision?

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,648
      I would recommend you get the biggest you can fit in, at least 10 by 8 would be better.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • DK MacPhee

DK MacPhee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Thanks, John. For what my wife has planned for it - tomatoes, chillis, seedlings, plus storage of gardening items like watering can, garden rake etc - she thinks an 8x6 is enough but I'm not so sure. She's also planning to build some raised beds - carrots, onions, potatoes etc - beside the greenhouse. We've looked at the Halls range and the Simplicity range from The Greenhouse People but can't decide which to choose. We want to be sure it is strong and safe against rain and wind. The Simplicity range uses bar capping to retain the glass in place. The Halls uses clips which they say is not as secure or watertight as bar capping.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Hi,

Halls is probably the most popular, but having had one and our current Elite greenhouse would suggest the Elite are much stonger.

Bar Capping is available on many makes, though probably doubling up the number of standard clips would be just as sound.

As @JWK says go for the size bigger than you think and if you are tall , look for ones with high eaves.
        Most smaller greenhouses come with just one top vent so do order an extra one with auto openers as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834
          Hi DK,

The Green House People are whom I bought my 8' X 10' Green House from and they are really helpful and friendly so you're off to a good start with them.

Both are very good makes and mine uses spring clips. I've found no problems whatsoever with spring clips in bad weather and never had problems with leaks or glass not being secure and, of course, safety glass is much better than ordinary Agricultural glass. I do, just because I'm cautious, use one extra clip at the top and bottom of the pane and 2 extra clips on each side of the side and roof panes. But, as I said, DK, it's only because I go OTT sometimes on things, and I would probably add extra secure points using bar capping.:dunno::nonofinger:
          I would put in side ventilators and roof ventilators as they can be vital at maintaining temperatures and humidity which is necessary. A Green House Thermometer is very useful and I use "S" Hooks to hang Secateurs,Hand Trowels, Hand Forks, Scissors on making them easy to put a hand on when needed. Other garden tools go either in the Garage or in a large container at the side of the House.
          There is one Law about Green Houses though.........the one you buy will never be big enough!!:dunno::heehee::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +45,648

I have a Simplicity Stableford 12 X 8 and am very happy with it. It has a strong frame and the glass cappings are very secure. I was actually looking for a Rhino Greenhouse as they are very well made and I know a couple of people who recommended that make. My Simplicity is on a par with Rhino I think.

I can't compare against Halls as I haven't seen one. I do have a couple of smaller old Crittall greenhouses which are from a different era and, whilst still serviceable, they are not as well made as the Simplicity, for example the glass doesn't seal very well against the frame.

I got my Simplicity second hand from ebay for about the third of the price of a new one. The downside is it took a long while waiting for one to come up locally. I also had to dismantle, transport and erect myself.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +45,648
              I live on an exposed hilly site and having toughened glass and solid bar cappings are safer. Having said that my old Crittall greenhouse (which uses simple spring clips to keep flimsy horticultural glass in place) withstood the great storm of 1987 without losing any panels. A large beech tree was blown down in next doors garden and I had some newly planted shrubs whipped out of the ground.

• Like Like x 3
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +117,313
                I can only reiterate, whatever size you get - it won't be big enough!

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Like Like x 1
                • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                  +12,318
                  a new greenhouse exciting ! changes everything ..especially on a rainy day .... are you putting together yourself ? as you need two days at least and another full day to add the glass and no wind !! and foundations ? to be honest if I ever get a new one I will will pay£ someone else to build it.... I have a new one it has glazing strips I find ok on the sides but I have few that slip in the roof only a bit annoying but easily sorted ... mine doesn't have a threshold so no trip hazard going in or out of the door way and makes it so much easier moving big pots in and out the greenhouse ...

Spruce

• Like Like x 4
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,184
                    The keys for greenhouse construction is in the foundation / metal base, they need to be square ( diagonals) and level, otherwise you can find the frame is difficult to join up at the corners and the glazing is difficult to fit.

The other key is time, patience and read the instruction manual at least twice ! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,478
                      One thing I found I needed to change with my first greenhouse was part of the base. Yes, you need a solid base to anchor your house. Do NOT make it perfectly level if you are planning on collecting your rainwater. I adjusted mine to ever so slightly be higher at the front so as to have the gutters drain to the back and into a trough directed to a barrel. Think you call them butts.

Do NOT make the base totally solid with zero gaps if you intend to feed wiring or waterlines into the structure. I left two gaps in my bases. One for water, one for solar wiring to run fans and in the larger of the three little structures, a third gap for the mains gas to run a heater.

You can feed your lines, or whatever and then pack in around them to seal off any access for rodents or other pests. I used plastic gutter mesh on the outside and a simple sponge on the inside to block cold air in the winter. Easy peasy. ;)

I put mine together by myself and though I could sometimes have used a third hand, I managed to do each one in 9 hours. So if this wiry old broad can do it, anyone can :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 7
                      • Useful Useful x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,834
                        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                        • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                          +3,718
                          I wouldn't have expected anything else from that "wiry old broad" who carries a bloomin great axe.:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                            Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,834

But, having met that "wiry old broad", I can tell you that she's a Lady with a big heart:love30::love30::thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                              +3,718
                              I don't doubt that at all...

• Agree Agree x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1