First garden help...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Melandsimba, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Melandsimba

Melandsimba Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hello all,

Completely clueless first time garden owner here. Have lived here for a year and I've pretty much left the garden alone whilst working on the house. Besides mowing the lawn and clearing weeds (well, the ones I know are definitely weeds!), I have done very little to my back garden. Although I have watched and made note of what has appeared throughout the year bulb wise (thanks dad for that idea ☺️). One of the plants that I thought was some type of rose has actually got flowers on it this year, but they're not what I recognise as roses... Help? Can anyone identify what the plant might be? I've attached a photo to see if anyone knows. Thanks in advance.
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      :sign0016: to GC @Melandsimba

Lovely of you to join us and good on you for following your Dad's advice to see what popped up in the past year :thumbsup:

The plant in your picture is Kerria Japonica (I had it in my previous garden) a pretty spring (deciduous) flowering shrub with a suckering habit that is easy to keep under control.

Looking forward to getting to know you around the forums :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Melandsimba

Melandsimba Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +14
        Thanks for that! It's very tall and a bit gangly (sort of like some of my teenage students!). How should I look after it? Do I need to train it against the fence? Any advice would be much appreciated, although I am off to google it now ☺️

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        It is a bit of a gangly shrub :heehee: You'll need to thin it out after flowering. It's an upright shrub so you can't "train" it as such just keep it under control (a bit like *some* teenage students :heehee: ).

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,134
        It's indestructible so you can treat it really mean if you need to!

• Agree Agree x 1