1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First garden, need advice...

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Dutch02, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Dutch02

Dutch02 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hello All,

We are finally getting around to making a start on the garden in our new house and really need some ideas on where to start.

As you can see from the picture, it has been neglected for some years and is going to need a complete overhaul. The biggest problem i see, is that the garden drastically drops on the right hand side, which is most likely why the retaining walls have been put in place in an attempt to create a level turf area.

The current retaining wall causes me an issue due to the fact we have our first child coming, the gap between the retaining wall and fence is around 3ft, not something i want any kids falling into...

We could perhaps keep the existing retaining walls, and just infill the gaps with gravel?

Another option might be to terrace the garden from from to back, perhaps in 3 steps? Although I worry we would lose too much useable space, as it isn’t a large garden to begin with.

If anyone has any better ideas i would be interested to hear them...

Thanks,

B727853A-AA5B-4664-B149-321CBB612A33.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      Hi @Dutch02, welcome!

Do you know what you'd like from the garden? Lawn/flowerbeds/veg growing etc? What direction does it face and what sort of soil? And whereabouts are you?

I'm sure others far more knowledgable than myself will be along soon to offer some advice, but from the picture my first thought would be to clear the rubble away then bring in topsoil to build the lawn up level with the top of the retaining wall, and returf or reseed the lawn once it's all even. You could then back fill the cavity behind the retaining wall with soil to make a deep narrow flowerbed.

Main considerations with that plan would be (a) will the wooden fencing support the soil (I genuinely have no idea on that one), and (b) the gap looks very narrow - as a rule of thumb wider beds look better and have more options for planting.

• Dutch02

Ratings:
      +8
      Thanks for replying.

We live in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

Initially i would like to get the ground level and have a nice well maintained lawn area. Eventually, i would like to introduce some Bee friendly plants but that will come later once i have the basic layout for the garden sorted.

The issue i have with filling in the gap between the wall and the fence, is that even if the fence could support the weight, i would worry that it would quickly rot the fence?

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,634
      Hi @Dutch02 , :sign0016:

Exiting times! Instead of levelling the garden out, you could perhaps level the top corner to create the lawn, semi- circular shape would look very smart. The sloping corner could then be allowed to slope down naturally, following the hill behind the fence. Some bold, fun planting there... Does the low corner stay wet? A bog garden would sit there beautifully. (And a pond after a few years when the kids have grown to a safer age :) )

Your view is beautiful, natural planting style would look great and blend in the view. Boldly shaped "formal" lawn can add nice contrast to wilder background.

You have a great blank canvas there, loads of opportunities and nothing drastic to hide, such as neighbour's garage. Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Dutch02

Ratings:
        +8
        Thanks for the ideas @Selleri

Exciting indeed, although also very daunting as i havent attempted any gardening before. I dont have much of an imagination either :). We are lucky with the view, its also extremely private which is a huge bonus for us.

Interesting idea, so in effect remove the retaining walls as put the garden back as it likely was originally and allow it to slope away naturally...

I like the semi-circular idea, in my head i would create the level semi-circular lawn in the top left hand corner as a slightly raised terraced, and then step down and allow the lawn to naturally fall away. Or would you not suggest the terrace and simply have all turf?

The only complication with the garden is we have a drainage access cover in the middle of the garden, which is a bit of an eyesore.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,541
        A few questions if I may Dutch02. :)

1. Is your house to the right of the picture or where the picture was taken from?
        2. Is the level of the ground beyond the fence at the same level as yours?

• Dutch02

Ratings:
        +8
        Hi @Sheal

My house is located immediately behind the camera, where im standing is a small patio area.

The ground behind the back fence is largely at the same level.

I spent a couple of hours last night knocking the wall down as best i could, i need to dig out a large amount of soil though to get to the bottom layers of bricks. They appear to have buried several concrete blocks under the soil too in an attempt to level the garden out, ive also dug those out as i cant imagine that would be great for growing plants in the future.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Agree with @Selleri , a plain lawn would just look boring after a short while.

Draw some simple sketches of the basic but important groundwork plan and post them for comment, they do not need to be fancy, detailed planting etc can come later.

Getting the groundwork right is key, so take your time and be sure its the layout you want and don't over do all the digging of those blocks ! :)
          Expect you will find some concrete foundations under them as well.

Re the ironworks that looks to be right in the middle of your first pic ? have you lifted the lid to see how deep it is ?
          If there is some depth to it, its not that hard to lower or even raise it to match your eventual layout.
          Also wonder if its does drain to a main sewer or to a soakaway in the garden, not sure whats behind your rear fence, just woods or is there a road/path for services etc ?

• Dutch02

Ratings:
          +8
          Thanks for your reply @ricky101

What is the issue with digging out all of the concrete blocks? I really am completely new to this, but i had assumed the concrete blocks were put there to level out the soil on the cheap (rather than use /compact more soil)?

With regards to the groud work, thats what im having a hard time visualising. It might be a good idea to get a landscape gardener in and talk through some idea and options.

Behind the house is a small woodland, immediately behind that is a path and large green field/park area.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          I just meant take it steady and do not knacker yourself pulling up those blocks and their foundations :)

A Landscape gardener will probably not give you lots of ideas for free and may expect to be engaged to do the work for you at a cost, thats why I suggested doing some simple sketches yourself and asking for constructive comments here.

• Dutch02

Ratings:
          +8
          Ah, i see what you mean. I actually find it very theraputic taking my sledge hammer to things :) They are blooming heavy though...

Ill draw up some sketches, i've never been particulalry artistic though so i have no idea how they will turn out! Although realisitically, i think i have 3 options:

1) Have a 3 step terrace, from Left to right
          2) Take Selleri's idea, and level off the top half and keep the natural slope
          3) Level off the top 3/4s and have the back right hand side as a lowered seating area

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
          Ratings:
          +2,369
          Use my wifes favourite app - pintrest for loads of ideas and styles. As has been said before, work with the slope of the garden and use this to add to the design.

Using shapes like this would allow you to drop the level to the right of the garden with a retaining wall and have a level lawn to he left. (I'm not suggesting having the path in there) https://www.jothompson-garden-design.co.uk/projects/chelsea-barracks-garden-rhs-chelsea-flower-show/?pp=1

Once its cleared, mark out various ideas with grass marker spray paint to get a feel for how the design would work.

Good luck !

• Dutch02

Ratings:
          +8
          Grass marker paint is a great idea actually, that'll really help me visualise it! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            You don't mention if young kids come into the equasion, but a play area on the lower side would seem a good use of that space, keeping the upper part for more ornamental plants ?

Fruit and Veg not your thing or something for the future ?

As @2nd_bassoon asked earlier, when looking out onto your garden what direction are you facing as that can really affect how you plan and plant things ?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,541
            Knowing you have a little one on the way I have this idea in mind. If the land behind the fence to the left is rising away from your garden then I'd be inclined to leave yours at the level it is now and create a terrace roughly where I have put the line, or maybe slightly closer to the fence. This will also prevent any possible slippage from the land the other side. The larger section to the right will give your youngster more room to play in. I would bring that down to ground level if possible but if not, leave it raised by about a 1ft or 30cm and create a step down to ground level. I think that would be a safe enough height for your little one.

B727853A-AA5B-4664-B149-321CBB612A33.jpeg