1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First Garden, Second Summer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Henrietta, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Henrietta

Henrietta Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!

New member here. [​IMG]

I've a south-east facing garden, which measures around 20' x 40'. It has a small 5' width of patio against the house, with approx 1m width of border around the lawn in the remainder of the garden.

Its my first! [​IMG] Had our first summer last year, and am thinking about the garden this summer now - I've got a few questions [​IMG]

I've a small 1m x 2m patch which had sunflowers last year, might this be good for strawberries? Or would they be better in tubs on the patio? I also thought about sweetpeas, as I love these - how do they do in containers?

Fuschia are another favourite of mine, I've managed to get some 2" plants, different varieties - two bush and three trailers - I'd like to do a couple of hanging baskets this year with them.. do they like full sun? At the front of the house, the yard gets sun until mid afternoon and it gets pretty hot; would the trailing fuschia be happy with this set-up? Can I put the bush fuschia in tubs at the front of the house, or are they happier not in direct sun. I have two hosta which the slugs happily decimated last year; they are coming through again now and I was thinking about digging one up to split into two containers. Perhaps the fuschia could fill this space at the end of the summer.

I've also got a hanger by the front door which gets minimal sun (an hour or two of first-dawn sun); are there any flowers who would be happy to be in a hanging basket here and still flower? How about the fuschia?

Can I put bedding plants in at the bottom of the five roses I have planted in the east-facing border? They are spaced about 1-2' apart and it seems a shame to waste the soil space at their feet...

Well theres a few questions I hope you can all share your thoughts or opinions on; I look forward to your help!

x

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Henrietta you answered most of your own questions, 1st....Strawberries are really better for tubs or better still troughs,less access to slugs, since you mentioned Hosta, also nearer the 'sun' for easier picking and fruit can droop over edge. Fuchsia...full sun,but may burn out too quick,some shade may be better. Hostas and Fuchsias don't really go together, both can get massive at same time. My Hostas are all in big pots. Try Petunia Surfinia in many colours now for good all rounder,for best show and all weather,flower from May till frost.No mess, no dead heading. Terrific show. Buzzy Lizzy stand a lot of shade,may be for your 'hanger', put 5-6 different col.in about 12" basket with a few trailing mixed Lobelia on edges and feed well.High pottassium,last till frost again.
    Roses...next... after you digested this lol

3. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    More to your last Questions. Hi again..Roses,most need min.2-3ft spacing,good thinking about wasted space, do you want a rose bed or a veg patch ? lol. much depends what types, maybe you can grow some Leeks,for winter picking. Perhaps a few Onion sets,Garlic,shallots,bit of parsley, chives,outdoor dwarf Tomatoes on sunny side, even a few Broccoli,if the Roses are not too tall,as Boroccoli can be picked all Winter and is hardy when your Roses are finished and Hey presto,you got both. Most of them can also be a deterrant for most pests at the same time. Daffodils or some other spring flowering bulbs in Autumn while the Roses are dormant. Come back, if you want to know more. GOOD LUCK !