1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First Greenhouse - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Carrot Man, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Carrot Man

Carrot Man Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    First post, here goes !

I'm thinking of investing in a greenhouse for growing tomatoes, chillies and salad stuff. I reckon an 8ft x 6ft will suit my needs but I'm not sure which brand to opt for.
    I've got about £400 to spend and ideally I'd like a green framed one so that it blends in with the garden a bit better.
    I'm just looking to hear people's opinions and experiences on this matter before I spend my hard earned !
    All advice welcome !

Carrot Man.............

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,076
    Hello Carrot man & welcome to the forum

I would recommend you get the biggest one you can afford, you will soon find you run out of space in a 8X6. It doesn't cost much more to get them slighly bigger. The extra voulme makes them easier to ventilate as well.

If you don't mind second hand then save some cash by looking on ebay or freecycle.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I bought a 40' x 10' off eBay for around £400. Aluminium, about 5 years old ...

IME it takes quite a while to get a greenhouse off eBay - they come up quite often, but miles away, so you have to be patient (or lucky!)

The larger the greenhouse the easier they are to keep cool in Summer. My opinion is that 8' x 6' houses are very difficult to keep cool - so you have to throw doors wide open, and the plants are then cooled more by draught than convection - which increases their transpiration and stress.

Having said that, my 40' x 10' grows far more than we actually need :)

Any kids about? Consider toughened glass, or possibly plastic.

Rhino say they make very strong greenhouses (their adverts have several burly builders sat on the ridge). Green frames too, from memory.

4. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    greenhousepeople, just google them and u will find them,
    i bought mine from them, great prices! mine is 10x8 and was under 400, and dont bother about the colour, just makes it more expensive, invest that money into a bigger one instead, and plastic is a no no for me!!

40x10 wow Kristen I want one of those!!!! grew out mine in a few weeks :(