1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First time propagation and seedlings are a no show...

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by agreener88, Apr 2, 2016.

1. agreener88

agreener88 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted chilli seeds, tomatoes and cucumbers about three weeks ago in propagators and have kept them in a mini greenhouse outside. They have had lots of sun and during the day if it is particularly warm and there is lots of condensation in the propagator I remove the lids and open the door for a few hours.

However I have had no seedlings at all yet. I have courgettes in the same greenhouse but not in a propagator and they have started to grow.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I may be doing wrong?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,673
    I'm guessing the seed might not be warm enough.
    To germinate well most veg seed needs a constant temperature, not just a warm bit in the middle of the day.
    Can't explain why the courgettes are doing ok when the others arn't though

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,435
      Hi @agreener88,
      First of all please don't give up & well done for having a go. I agree with @pete, in the greenhouse there's not consistent heat, could you bring your propagators into the house? Maybe in a spare room on a window ledge? You would certainly get better results :dbgrtmb:.
      I find courgettes really easy to grow, I think they are just an easy seed, they don't seem so 'needy' as other seeds.
      I've not down any seeds yet, you still have time :dbgrtmb: I hope you have another go :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        you could very gently check some of the seeds using a cotton bud to see if they are sprouting or maybe mouldy

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Don't know about the veg ,but I think Chilli seeds have no chance to germinate outside . I germinate mine in the airing cupboard at nearly 30°c . They are then grown on indoors ,in fact my Tokyo Hot are on the windowsill next to me :blue thumb: They won't go outside until June at the earliest. What did the seed sowing instructions say ? They do need to be followed . If unsure the Thomson and Morgan site has clear sowing instructions for all types of plant . Tomato it says 15-20°c , not a cat in hells chance outside.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/tomato-seeds/tomato-shirley-f1/250TM

• Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
        Ratings:
        +7,491
        If you're in the UK, it's too cold at the moment for chillis and toms to be outside as night time temps will fall even though it seems nice and warm in your mini greenhouse during sunny days. You could get a max min thermometer and put it in your mini greenhouse to check. As has already been said you're cruising to disappointment unless you sow indoors and move the plants out when the weather warms up.

• Agree Agree x 1