1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

first try at germinating clivia seeds

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by athol, Oct 2, 2015.

1. athol

athol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    fell in love with clivias a few years ago and thought I'd give a go at growing them from seed,so I let the seeds ripen on the plants for a 6 months or so,cleaned them all up of the fleshy pulp (a messy job indeed)soaked them in a hydrogen peroxide solution overnight then layed them on wet perlite in an airtight container on top of my fishtank for some bottom heat as the seeds were ready for sowing in the middle of winter (my luck).anyway took a few months and eventually they started germinating,transplanted a few into grow out pots and am happy to say they are coming along nicely,though some are much slower growing than others,and while it will be years before I see any flowers im quite chuffed

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,898
      Yep, I've grown some from seed in the past.
      Also noticed if you leave the berries on the plant long enough the seeds actually form a root, so germination can start before you even collect the seed.

Unless your really trying for something different division is probably the best form of propagation.

I find at least three years before the first flowers:)

• athol

athol Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      I don't know which takes longer germinating seeds or waiting for offsets,iv maybe had 3 offsets in the past 4 years.the plan is to plant en masse hopefully one day so going to carry on with the germinating,i see the new pods have started forming so looking forward to the next batch

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,225
      Clivia = patience!

They are slow!