1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Flamingos

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Victoria, May 24, 2021.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,727
    [​IMG]

There are two colonies of flamingos (Phoenicopterus roseus) nesting for the first time in Portugal, announced today the Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests (ICNF), to mark the International Day of Biodiversity. The ICNF recalls that, in 2010, there had already been a first nesting attempt in Portugal, but without success.

They say there are many nests but not revealing the locations so people do not go disturb them. I know they are in Algarve. I think the above picture is in the wetlands of the Arade River by where we had our caravan/cabin on the river. I took the picture below many years ago in Portimao (same area of the Arade River).

Flamingos Nov 07.JPG

I think this is exciting news ... Storks and Flamingos breeding here. :yahoo: :hapfeet:

• Like Like x 5
      Last edited: May 24, 2021
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,417
      I missed this thread @Victoria I hope they are successful.
      There is a stork rewilding project in Sussex at the Knepp Estate and are breeding there too, some over winter in Spain and Portugal. A lot more chicks have hatched this year increasing the declining Stork population in Europe. No Flamingos here (yet!):smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,727
        @strongloden

"550 is the number of flamingos (Phoenicopterus roseus) that have already been born in the Algarve, in a salt pan in the Natural Reserve of Sapal de Castro Marim and Vila Real de Santo António, announced this Monday, 5 July, the Institute for Nature Conservation and of Forests (ICNF). This is a colony of about 3000 individuals that has built close to 800 nests with eggs, now hatching about 550 young flamingos."

https://www.sulinformacao.pt/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/flamingos-icnf-1-1536x1024.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,089
          And if you cant make Portugal to see them theres a flock 15 miles south of Edinburgh , no really there is. Mad :rolleyespink::rolleyespink::rolleyespink:

• Informative Informative x 1