Flattening a banked garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sixtie7, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Sixtie7

Sixtie7 Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    Is there any way how?
    My back garden is banked up first for the drive way which rises 1.5ft from he road surface in 10ft to the garage, the Garden then lifts again making the whole garden 2ft higher than the road/ path outside. The garden at the sides drops down in little fairly steep banks making maintenance of the current borders (high conifers and large overgrown evergreens) / mowing the current lawn 'interesting'
    Is there anyway of flattening the whole garden whilst retaining privacy? Bizarrely the front garden is flat level with the path / road
    I've considered steps from the rear of the driveway down into the garden and steps again up into the house, but I'm not sure if this would undermine the bungalows and garages foundations / cause a 'swimming pool effect' for rainwater. Unsure
    IF there is no way of flattening the existing garden does anyone have any recommendations of what to do?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    I think you might cause more problems if you try to level it. Would terracing help?

3. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,857
    If it were me, I would get a couple of landscape gardeners to come and give you some ideas and quotes. You will then know what's feasible and what's not and how to get the best from your garden. At the end of the day, if the quotes are too costly you can always do things yourself.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,627
    You'll need terraces and/or retaining walls.

• Like Like x 1