Flooded veg garden

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by farmingfriends, Jun 30, 2007.

1. farmingfriends

farmingfriends Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My veg garden has been under water for 6 days after the floods in our area. I have squash, courgette, brassicas, radish, lettuce, beetroot, onions and garlic. Will they survive and be edible? any advice much appreciated.
    farmingfriends

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,369
    I dont know really, thankfully I've never been in that position, but it does sound a long time for those plants to be underwater.
    Presumably, although the water may have gone down now, the soil is still saturated.
    I think only time will tell.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    All you can really do is expect the worst but hope for the best. You have my sympathy. David.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think 6 days is long enough for plants to drown in, so you will probably be ok try to get some straw under you courgette to keep flowers off damp ground when you dry out

5. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello farmingfriends,

I'm learning myself but I would be inclined to use a big garden fork and turn over the soil around the plants to drain as much water as possible without damaging the crops.

Then, like Waco says get some straw between the soil and plants. That should help to prevent rotting and also bulk up your wet soil.

Just my thoughts, I'm by no means an expert but do hope you manage to salvage your garden.

TO

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi FF,
    I would say from my experience, that you will be lucky if your crops survive.
    Plant roots don't like being water logged as they are then suffocated, and prone to rotting.

I wish you luck, but wouldn't hold my breath .

7. farmingfriends

farmingfriends Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your replies and advice/sympathy. The veg garden is nolonger sitting in water but the ground in places is still a little soggy. Most of the veggies have rotted away except some of the brassicas and a couple of courgette plants.
    Thanks again everyone.

8. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I think it's been a bad year for veggies in general with all the rain we've had. Let's hope for more sunshine to dry things out and ripen then.