1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Flooding in Hay-on-Wye??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Feb 16, 2012.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    The estate agents rang me today and said that a search on the area where my cottage is (the one I am hoping to buy) is in a flood risk area!!!!!:( it is very close to the town centre where all the bookshops are. I am having another more detailed search carried out as the estate agent seemed quite concerned about it but I am wondering if it could be that the cottage is situated quite close to the river Wye and there is always risk if you live near a river. Anyone heard any flooding news from this area??:help:

Val

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Like Like x 1
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      You're doing the right thing getting a detailed search done, Val. That should tell you if your cottage has been flooded before and whether it is a fairly common occurrence or something that happens once in a blue moon. A few miles down the road from me is the village of Yalding, nicknamed the 'sinkhole of Kent', because three rivers converge on the place and it floods with boring regularity. Even though its flood defences are supposed to have been improved, I'd still hesitate to buy a house in high risk parts of the village, but other bits of it are out of the flood plain - and that's where doing your homework comes in.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      Val I agree with Clare, a search is the best thing to do. You should also check out where you stand with house insurance as well, regarding flooding.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,473
      Yes, you need to be very careful about house insurance. At the moment the government has got the insurance companies to agree to insure flood risk properties but that agreement runs out, I think, in a year or two.

Some of the village did flood but you need to check exactly where the cottage is in relation to the risk area. During a purchase the owners are supposed to reveal any adverse conditions.

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Well, my Sons' mother-in-law is friends with the lady who lives in the cottage next door to my one, she has lived there for 45 years and hasn't been flooded yet!!!!! That's good enough for me!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: 5 weeks to go now, moving day is March 23rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yess::happydance:

Val

• Like Like x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        March 23rd????

You're moving on the same day Hitler became dictator of Germany???

• Like Like x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,473

Don't worry, Val. It was the date that the record 'Yes We Have No Bananas' was brought out. So you can play that, or you can play 'Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mr Hitler'. :heehee:

• Like Like x 3