1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Floury 'Javelin'

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Adam Moran, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I pulled one of my 'Javelin' plants the other day and my lovley wife cooked them for dinner.

They looked quite good but when boiled fell apart abit and tasted quite floury.

They have been in the ground for 11 weeks and a few days, if i leave them for a couple more weeks will they improve? Or is it a sign of lack of water?

I also have a problem with a lack of magnesium, the plants look a bit like this although not quite so bad:

[​IMG]

Today i gave them a bit of a feed with epsom salts to help them but could that be effecting the taste too?

Thanks for you help,

Adam

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,063
    I always thought that 'new' potatoes went floury if you left them in the ground too long. This year a few people on here are saying their Javelin are bland compared to other varieties. Its the first year I've tried Javelin, and still haven't dug any up yet, I hope they are not going to dissapoint.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "I always thought that 'new' potatoes went floury if you left them in the ground too long"

Interesting, so successional planting might be the / an answer? I have been contemplating that for next year. We really like New Potatoes, so I could plant from 01-Apr to, what, early June?

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,063
    Its an idea Kristen. We have just eaten had the first meal with our new Javelin spuds, they started to break up when boiled and the taste was nothing special. My wife said she preferred Jersey Royals. So I am mightily disappointed with Javelin.

Anyway these were the first of my spuds grown in containers. Most of my potatoes are a little behind these, and will be starting to dig those up next week. Going by previous form I think my new spuds will last a good few weeks into August. Then I have a smaller row of Pink Fir Apple (a main crop variety) that went in very late. So in Sept we should be eating those.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've read that P.F.R. are harvested very late - first year I have grown them, and they have been flowering for a while now. What do you think?

(I've got far more plants that I need, I'll dig one up when I have a moment)

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,063
    Yes Pink Fir Apple are very late, don't dig them yet they will be tiny. I pulled all mine up in July last year (following my contaminated manure fiasco) and the P.F.A. were like marbles.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    OK, I will resist! Thanks.

8. ming

ming Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Are these Pentland Javelin ? If so , we had the same disappointment last year. They looked good but tasted rubbish. I wouldn't get them again.

9. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They are indeed Pentland Javelin and yes they are rubbish!

I'm quite disapointed as is the wife :(

Anyway.... i'll dig the rest up and give them away and then its on to the 2nd earlys

Lets hope for better ones this time :)

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,063
    Adam, don't give up just yet. Having stored my Javelin spuds a couple of days in a paper bag they no longer break up when boiled and both me and Mrs JWK believe the taste has improved. We had another load of them tonight for our dinner and they were very nice. I'd be interested to know if you find the same (i.e. don't eat them fresh straight out the ground, dig up a few and store them a couple of days or so)

11. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice John.

I was going to dig them all up on Thursday so i will let you know.

Ps Where would one buy brown paper bags?

Adam

12. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Why not try steaming or pressure cooking your spuds they taste better and do not break up.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    We steam ours ... I agree its the best way to cook them ... but our Pentland Javaline still break up :( ... but I haven't, yet, tried JWK's experiment of "storing" them for a few days after digging up before cooking.

14. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,063
    We have never bought any, just collected them from shopping trips. It doesn't have to be brown, thats just to keep the light out, and paper rather than plastic to stop the spuds sweating. :gnthb: If you have a cardbard box then that will be just fine with a sheet of newspaper over the top.

15. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a couple of hamper style baskets which will do the job.

Now do i sneak off down to the allotment before the wife gets home.....