Flowering Cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Jul 31, 2017.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi All. Originally I was going to post in the Fuchsia forum as my question is really about Fuchsia cuttings but realised it could apply to any cutting of any plant.Any thoughts or advice as always greatly appreciated.

Just curious about flowers on cuttings.When the cuttings take and are only 2-3" tall (50-76mm) The flowers do look so cute if that is the correct word and normally a miniature of the flower on a grown plant.
    Never know if to leave them on or pinch them off? One part of me says they are in flowering mode and will not put on much growth anyway so leave them on. The other half says opposite,pinch off flower so all energy goes into the plant itself.
    I suppose this could be a question not only for fuchsia cuttings but any other cuttings??

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Ideally cuttings should be taken from non flowered shoots. Often cuttings with flowers, buds or spent flowers fail to "take" in my experience.
    Trogre, do you find the cuttings take well?
    I would remove any flowers or buds because I think they do take energy from the cutting :)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,384
    Never like a newly rooted cutting to flower, I would take the tip out if it persists.
    Ideally cutting need to go through a vegetative stage before producing flowers.

4. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi Trogre, as Pete says you want the young plants to grow vegetively first. Also, with Fuchsias you should always remove the growing tip otherwise they tend to throw out long straggly shoots with just a couple of flowers on the end.