1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Flowering rhubarb

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nikirushka, Mar 29, 2017.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    I've been here 10 years and in that time, I've been nursing the rhubarb that I found here. It had been planted right in front of a huge privet hedge and was pathetic. I moved it, divided it, fed them and for the past couple of years have had an excellent crop from them (now 3 large plants).

This year, it's decided to flower! Not an issue for me, and I plan to let it carry on. The rest of the plants are still very healthy and leafing up nicely. I haven't decided whether to let it seed or not but with the plants being probably 15 years old at least (going by the size of the original clump), perhaps it is time to begin a new generation!

I just wondered why it might have suddenly decided to do it this year, after all this time? It's not gotten too wet or dry, it's in a good balanced spot for that. Any ideas?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They do that now and again :biggrin:

Generally you'd cut it off but if you'm got other plants then go for it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      Well, I've got 3 of them, but they are all flowering! Got my it/them a bit mixed up there by habit, I tend to refer to them all as one plant.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Cut one off and leave the other 2 hopefully they'll polinate each other even if they are clones.

Bet you a jam sandwich all the seed will germinate :yikes:

• nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
      +93
      I will give that a try, thanks! Hopefully they will and I can make a few bob :snork:

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        They sometimes flower due to "stress", so having been divided and still being cropped in the two years after might be why it was prodded into flowering.

In the 80's my wife and I were walking through the gorgeous village of Tissington
        [​IMG]
        [​IMG]
        [​IMG]
        There was a Rhubarb plant, which was flowering, overflowing into the path and I asked the Lady in the garden if I could "liberate" some of the seeds. She said yes, but had no idea of the variety name. I sowed every seed [around 100] and got every one to produce a seedling. I chose the best one and planted it into the ground. So it's over 30 years old, and now two plants, still going strong and, even after dividing, has produced huge, thick, tasty stalks every year and I named it "Tissington Giant" after a great day in the village.
        [​IMG]
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,931
          Must admit to not having heard of anyone bothering to grow rhubarb from seed.;):snork:

I tend to think it's like any other plant and if it is doing well it will flower, I think most people cut out the flowering spike before it gets big in order to turn the energy in to growing leaves.

Division is the way "normal":biggrin: people propagate it.:)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
            +93
            What a brilliant story!

I didn't crop it after I divided it - at that point it was still half starved and pathetic so I left it be. This was 5 or 6 years ago now. I thought it was on the way out to be honest so it had a couple of years to recover and be fed before I started again.

If I was to move it again now, am I right in thinking I'd have to do that again and give it a couple of years before I started harvesting again? I didn't expect it to recover at all and instead it was rather overcrowded last year (which now I think about it might have poked it into flowering) as I planted it a bit too close to a wall and the plants to each other.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            You did the right thing, nikirushka, by not cropping it after dividing. Usually people leave the plant after dividing for around 3 years. They're quite a tough plant and will normally survive most abuse:coffee::snorky:

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
            +599
            @nikirushka - have you had any deep frosts this year?

A tip someone once advised was to expose stubborn Rhubarb roots to frosty air as it puts the plant into shock and its natural reaction is to rapidly produce massively elevated sugar levels and hormones which can cause roots that otherwise "won't take" to suddenly burst into life. Was wondering if this could be applicable to your Rhubarb and the mysterious flowering?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Very little frosts of any kind, to be honest, MM:dunno:, it seems to be getting milder and milder here in West Cheshire in the last few years.:snorky:
            I think Nikirushka lives on the North East Coast where hard frost are far more common than the West Coast, so it might well be true.:snorky:

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
            +599
            @ARMANDII - sorry mate, pasted the wrong name into the thread at first but rectified it :whistle:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            I did notice that's why I mentionned nikirushka:coffee::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
              +93
              I'm about an hour inland of the east coast and we've had a very mild winter here. We've had one, maybe two hard frosts so far this year and a few lighter ones but it's been milder this year than last, and it's getting milder every year. We used to get big frosts maybe a dozen times each winter that lasted most of the day, we've only had one of those so far this time.

• Like Like x 1
              • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
                +599
                Aye lad/lass those were the days. Proper cold winter and gorgeous hot summers... eeeeh. And all around, there were nothing but fields and warm Hovis bread. No idea why I'm talking like a Yorkshire man but they are usually called in for voiceovers about the past :snork:

Near the East coast too and TBH the winters here (apart from very occasional cold ones) are nowadays usually wet, mild and er, wetter and sometimes incredibly wetter. The 'turning soil into concrete' kinda frosts and the snow from childhood days never make an appearance now. Something's definitely different about the climate :hate-shocked: