1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

flowers for winter

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by taney, Jul 21, 2005.

1. taney

taney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Which flowering plants should be planted for winter & when should they be planted?

and another question...it might sound stupid to you but being a beginner I don't know..how do we collect seeds?I have planted quite a few flowering plants,how can I collect their seeds for the next season?Should I wait till they wither off or something else?

Thanx & Regards!

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Taney
    Good time to plant (any plants) is in the Autumn. Keep a look out at your local garden centre/nursery for plants in season/new stock e.g colchicums (autumn crocus) are planted around August. Cyclamen will be in stock when ready to plant. There are many winter flowering shrubs such as Lonicera fragrantissima, Mahonia, Jasminium nudiflorum. Its worth going to nurseries rather than garden centres as they have plants for sale that are not just at their "wow" stage like the ones on display at Garden Centres (to entice you to spend your pennies). You could plant most things now, but you will have to do an awful lot of watering & tlc-ing to keep them happy until they flower, but if you have the time, then go for it. Also, when you say winter do you mean December-February? (or the more realistic time of November-March)Have a look at an RHS guide or the plant selector at www.rhs.org.uk. for some good ideas - & know your soil and growing conditions - which may differ in parts of your garden depending on size/situation (clay/sand etc. well drained/moist etc, how acid/alkaline, sun/shade etc, shetered/exposed etc) so you get appropriate plants (e.g no point planting cyclamen in thick, wet clay)
    Hope this helps

[ 21. July 2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Collecting seed is quite easy - wait til the seed heads or pods start to change colour just a little from green to yellow - then cut them off and place in a labelled envelope or small paper bag - and leave them to dry out completely. The pods will open and the seed will be safe in the envelope - v. useful for some like geraniums that spring their seeds when ripe.

Me I leave them in the open enevelope in my dining room all winter - ready for planting next year. The critical thing with seed is dryness, and I find envelopes work fine.

4. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi taney

All Balleaf's suggestions are good. Bulbs are particularly good for very early spring flowers and most should be planted around oct/nov. One of my absolute favorite shrubs is witch hazel which flowers in jan/feb before almost everything else. There are lots of varieties which range in colour from almost pink to bright yellow. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cloudy