FLUSHING OR NOT TO FLUSH

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nathan7, Feb 13, 2011.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Has anyone had this problem at any time, the handle on the cistern wont flush unless you pump it a few times I know this is not the thing to do ? Would Ihave to buy a new cistern or can I replace the cylinder that the plunger goes in hpe the pics are so help many thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic shows the handle halfway down with no flush

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Does it give a little flush when you push it down once ?

If it does then its probably a low flush toilet, you have to pump them to give a full flush. Its a water saving device, we have them as part of our eco build.

3. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hy ZIG It gives hardly any we have to push the handle down 4-5 times to get a flush and in the last pic the handle is more than half way down with no motion
    There are 2 screws holding the back and 2 wing type nuts underneath and the mains going underneath 1 pipe I have never tackled a job like this so I was wondering if I could replace the cylinder that the plunger is in once again thanks

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,304
    It may be that the plastic membrane has got brittle and got a hole on it, its inside the siphon part of the cistern.
    You can buy all the parts needed, but it can be a problem if you need to take the whole thing out of the cistern, as you then have to remove the cistern from the top of the bowl to get at the nut.

Some are in two parts, which means you can remove the siphon part and replace it without going to too much trouble.

5. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks pete If I get the part and put it in can I then put one of those flexi type pies onto the mains entry to the cistern thank you

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,304
    I'm not a plumber Nathan, its just that I've had similar problem to you in the past with crap toilet cisterns, we must have the worst in the developed world.

As to the mains entry, I think you can do all kinds of things these days with push fit etc, but why would you want to fit flexy pipe onto the mains feed?
    Your problem is with the flush once the cistern is full, am I right?

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    I've seen this problem a few times. I'm not a plumber so I may be talking rubbish, but I've always found that things just stretch, bend, come loose over time, so the handle is halfway down before any of the mechanical bits it's connected to even start to move.

A bit of botchwork sorts it out for a few months. Sometimes there is an S shaped bit of metal, or if I can judge correctly from your picks, a metal hook thingy between the arm thing and all the magic bits. Removing that and 'adjusting' it with a pair of pliars so that it is effectively a little bit shorter sometimes does the trick.

Sometimes the plastic arm thing curves over time, and sometimes you can remove them, flip them the other way round (so that it curves up over rather downward) sorts it out.

I'll now sit back and wait for a plumber to tell us that I've just written a load of rubbish, but its worked for me, although I have to admit, my botches only tend to live for a few months before going back to square one.

8. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes you are right pete I am only thinking the next time it would be easier with a valve on the flexi dont want a next time though :thumb:

9. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    on the plastic 'arm' there are more holes higher up - perhaps you need to put the metal hook higher up the 'arm'

just an observation

Loopy

10. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have now got the new part for my cistern the 2 screws on the back have rusted up and the wing nuts tight is there a way of getting them loose and could I still use the connection thats on or will I have to buy a new joint the one that is on has been soldered I think could I use one of those flexi types many thanks
    [​IMG]