1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Foliage Plant ID needed Exotic Looking!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Ciryluk, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Ciryluk

Ciryluk Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I got this in Wilkinsons... not my favourite place to buy plants but good for pots, seeds ect anyway this plant stood out... it has dark green leaves with red and yellow down the centre. All it has got label wise says "Assorted Mini Foliage Plant" I think the actual plant description label dropped off somewhere. Well cuz I liked the leaves :luv: I bought it now I need to know what it is... its in reasonably good nick considering lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Hmmmm ... my first thought was a Croton .. but not sure as it doesn't look that good to me. :flag:

3. Ciryluk

Ciryluk Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Thankyou after googling Croton I would go with that looks alot like this; http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/04/1000/0769.jpg "codiaeum variegatum *red banana*" there are a few others that are similar to that aswell but care is much the same. A tropical plant mostly from Asia.. so indoors plant here. And far from being "mini" it's an evergreen shrub that can grow 4-5ft tall under the right conditions.

Trust me it looks good for a "Wilkinsons" plant its still green for one :hehe: Needs a bigger pot as the roots are starting to grow out the bottom and some TLC and it will soon be looking in tip top condition now I know how to care for it. One for my indoor "front" garden then it can join my Bizzie Lizzie collection on the window sill! :thmb:

I still like the leaves! :luv:

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: Hmm could be Cheryl, like Victoria, my first thought was a Croton as well, but they also have the vein lines running the other way a well.. Now looking at your picture I think I would agree with you.. Well done finding it.. :thumb:

5. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Croton. You see no end of them around the houses in Florida, including this narrow-leafed one.

6. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I appreciate a lot the experience and the good intentions of the members here. Even if I don't post in a thread, I still enjoy reading the answers (and the question, too).