football proof shrubs/plants?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by exlabman, Jun 10, 2011.

1. exlabman

exlabman Gardener

Paramedic
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,
    I was looking at the bedding plants this year trying to imagine myself NOT murdering my toddler as he boots his football around the back garden and mercilessly beats things with his watering can.
    I think next year I will try to use more toddler tollerant plants (my night sented stock is already sulking from a well placed ball).
    Any suggestions for plants that would tollerate a bit of abuse and spring back?
    I thought of aubrieta, but a garden full might get a little dull.
    Beds are approx 1ft to 18" width approx around a square lawn.
    Don't fret Woo, all the roses are in the front garden, hopefully out of range (except the patio pot one).

Cheers
    D

2. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Get a (big) cage or go to the park.

A cage would be more convenient, but the park is cheaper.

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Melinda, there is no cage strong enough to hold an irate toddler who has been deprived of his football.

Are you thinking mainly of annual bedding plants, ex-labman? They are mostly quite fragile where footballs are concerned. The hardy geraniums (cranesbills) will come up every year and generally recover from quite a bit of bashing around. Some people find them dull but I love them. They're unfussy plants which aren't choosy about soil and as a bonus slugs and snails avoid them. It's best to buy the varieties which don't set seed as they will go on flowering for a long time, whereas some of the others are only in bloom for a couple of weeks. 'Orion' is nice; it's blue and will flower from May right through to the autumn. You can buy it online from Hayloft Plants. 'Patricia' is an eye-searing shade of magenta with a black eye. It too will bloom for months. Of course, all plants need a good start; best take your toddler to the park for a few weeks while things settle in.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    D, he`s a toddler, he`s doing the same things YOU did at his age. When he`s old enough to understand THEN you can enjoy your garden. In the meantime, get him a set of goalposts ( and net ) and train him to target his shots.:D:dbgrtmb:

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,364
    I think Dai is right, I could suggest yuccas and gorse but I doubt thats what you have in mind,:).

Just give up for about 10yrs, at least:D

• Like Like x 1
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,635
      17+ years more like, my teenage son now plays basketball out amongst my prized plants. There's no grass where the ball is bounced all the time and plants in direct line of fire have to be tough, theres no way any kind of bedding will survive a direct hit from a basketball. I use canes to try and deflect the ball away from the more delicate stems.

• Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
      +120
      Been there with my kids lol, and I've a large green out the front that the local kids play footy on, tho they are pretty good and mostly respectfull, two things I'd say 1) get him one of those full size foam footballs or at least a soft kiddies ball, keep the proper ball for the park. 2) what about a small boarder fence or log roll to deflect the force in the ball and offer the plants at least some protection.

Kind Regards, Plant Potty.:)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      And get the England football team round as well , while you are doing this :D

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      Norman the gnome has succumbed to my 2.5yr old grandson - what hope a flower?
      Just hope he is able to avoid the greenhouse - mine can't, although if the door's open the ball gets forgotton in favour of 'Matas, even though they're still green he is first in the queue for when they are red.
      So far the fridge has kept him off the plants themselves.
      Forget the plants - enjoy the Bairn. They get bigger. Oh dear:rolleyespink:

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      :heehee:

No one could have a more active or destructive toddler than my sister and she still manages to have a garden with a few plants in it, as well as a greenhouse. She recently bought her son a trampoline, which he loves. It means that a lot of his energy goes into bouncing rather than wrecking the flower beds.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,635
      I would like to try netting around the borders, the very thin stuff to keep the birds off as I think it would take the sting off the ball. Mrs JWK doesn't like the idea as it would look naff, she is probably right (she always is actually) - I wish I hadn't consulted her and just done it, I'm sure it would work and wouldn't be too noticable from a distance.